|Born||Georges David Wolinski
28 June 1934
Tunis, French Tunisia
|Died||7 January 2015
C’est la faute à la société
|Awards||Grand Prix de la ville d'Angoulême, 2005
Legion of Honour, 2005
Georges Wolinski (French: [vɔlɛ̃ski]; 28 June 1934 – 7 January 2015) was a French cartoonist and comics writer. He was killed on 7 January 2015 in a terrorist attack on Charlie Hebdo along with other staff.
Georges David Wolinski was born on 28 June 1934 in Tunis, French Tunisia to Jewish parents, Lola Bembaron and Siegfried Wolinski. His father, who was from Poland, was murdered in 1936 when Wolinski was two years old. His mother was a Tunisian of Italian extraction. He moved to metropolitan France in 1945 shortly after World War II. He started studying architecture in Paris and following his graduation he began cartooning.
Wolinski began cartooning for Rustica in 1958, and started drawing political cartoons in 1960. Three years later, in 1961, he started contributing political and erotic cartoons and comic strips to the satirical monthly Hara-Kiri.
During the student revolts of May 1968, Wolinski co-founded the satirical magazine L'Enragé with Jean-Jacques Pauvert and Siné. He served as the editor-in-chief of Hara-Kiri from 1961 to 1970. In the early 1970s, Wolinski collaborated with the comics artist Georges Pichard to create Paulette which appeared in Charlie Mensuel and provoked reactions in France during its publication. Wolinski's work appeared in the daily newspaper Libération, the weekly Paris-Match, L'Écho des savanes and Charlie Hebdo.
Wolinski was killed, along with seven of his colleagues, two police officers, and two others on 7 January 2015 in the Charlie Hebdo shooting when armed jihadist terrorists stormed the Charlie Hebdo newspaper offices in Paris.
- Paulette, art by Georges Pichard
- Paulette Tome 1, 1971
- Paulette Tome 2, 1972
- Le mariage de Paulette, Le Square, 1974
- Paulette en Amazonie, Le Square, 1975
- Ras-le-bol-ville, Le Square, 1975
- Le cirque des femmes, Le Square, 1977
- Les Pensées, Le Square, 1981
- Paulette, Dargaud, 1984
- Andrew Marszal; Barney Henderson; David Millward (8 January 2015). "Paris Charlie Hebdo attack: live". The Telegraph. Retrieved 8 January 2015.
Famous French cartoonists Cabu, Charb, Tignous and Wolinski all reported killed in the attack.
- "LIVE. Massacre in "Charlie Hebdo": 12 dead, including Charb and Cabu". Le Point. 7 January 2015. Retrieved 8 January 2015.
- "Les dessinateurs Charb et Cabu seraient morts". L'Essentiel (in French) (France: L'Essentiel). 7 January 2015. Retrieved 7 January 2015.
Le directeur de la publication et dessinateur satirique Charb (Stéphane Charbonnier) et Cabu seraient morts selon les informations du Point (via un tweet). Charb avait été annoncé gravement blessé selon plusieurs sources, que relayaient Le Monde et Le Figaro.
- Attentat à Charlie Hebdo : Cabu, Charb, Tignous et Wolinski parmi les victimes Charlie Hebdo : Cabu, Charb, Wolinski, Maris et les autres, tués dans l'attaque, Le Parisien, 7 January 2015
- Georges Wolinski: Illustrateur de BD français, Le Figaro
- Jewish cartoonist among victims of Paris terror attack, Ynetnews, 8 January 2015, AFP. Retrieved 8 January 2015
- "Charlie Hebdo attack: Victim obituaries". BBC. 8 January 2015. Retrieved 8 January 2015.
- "Getting to Know Cartoonist Georges Wolinski". The Jewish Daily Forward. 4 January 2012.
- (Italian) Moked – il portale dell´ebraismo italiano – Georges Wolinski
- Lucy Cormack (8 January 2015). "Charlie Hebdo: Daughter's Instagram post a reminder of the people behind the pencil". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 8 January 2015.
- Ray Sanchez; Ed Payne; Ashley Fantz (8 January 2015). "French cartoonists killed in Paris took a profane aim at the world". CNN. Retrieved 8 January 2015.
- Lambiek Comiclopedia. "Georges Wolinski".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Georges Wolinski.|
- Obituary in The Independent by Marcus Williamson
- Georges Wolinski at the Internet Movie Database
- Georges Wolinski biography on Lambiek Comiclopedia
- Georges Wolinski publications in Charlie Mensuel, L'Écho des Savanes and BoDoï BDoubliées (French)
- Georges Wolinski albums Bedetheque (French)