|Member of the|
San Diego City Council
for the Ninth District
|Assumed office |
December 12, 2016
|Preceded by||Marti Emerald|
|Residence||San Diego, California|
|Alma mater||San Diego State University (BA)|
|Website||City Council District 9 website|
Georgette Gomez is an American elected official in San Diego, California. She serves as a member of the San Diego City Council representing City Council District 9. She is a Democrat, although city council positions are officially nonpartisan per California state law. In December 2018, Gomez was unanimously appointed president of the city council.
Personal life and education
Gomez was born in San Diego to working class immigrants. She was raised in Barrio Logan where she learned the values of giving back to the community and assisting the less fortunate. Gomez attended Serra High School and later graduated from San Diego State University majoring in Environmental and Natural Resource Geography. Gomez and her partner Xochitl reside in the Azalea Park community of City Heights.
San Diego City Council
The 2016 San Diego City Council election for District 9 featured an open seat due to incumbent Marti Emerald choosing not to seek reelection. In the June 2016 primary, Gomez came in second to Ricardo Flores, Emerald's chief of staff. Since no candidate received a majority of the votes in the primary, a runoff election was held in November 2016 between Flores and Gomez. Gomez was then elected to the City Council in November with a majority of the votes.
On December 10, 2018, the City Council voted unanimously to appoint Gomez to be the council president. In this role, she automatically gained a seat on the board of directors of the San Diego Association of Governments. Gomez has also served as the chairwoman of the San Diego Metropolitan Transit System since January 2018.
|San Diego City Council District 9 election, 2016|
- "Communities - City of San Diego Official Website".
- "About Georgette". Gomez for City Council 2016.
- Burks, Megan. "Who's The Establishment Candidate In San Diego Council District 9?". KPBS Public Media.
- "Marti Emerald Not Seeking Reelection, Political Future Uncertain - Times of San Diego". Times of San Diego. 14 April 2015.
- "Election History - Council District 9" (PDF). City of San Diego. Retrieved 12 January 2013.
- KUSI Newsroom (December 10, 2018). "District 9 City Councilwoman Georgette Gomez elected San Diego City Council President -". KUSI News. Retrieved December 22, 2018.
- Bowen, Andrew (18 January 2018). "MTS Board Elects Georgette Gomez Chairwoman". KPBS Public Media. Retrieved 13 February 2018.