|Georgy Mikhaylovich Grechko|
Grechko in 2011
|Born||25 May 1931
Leningrad, Soviet Union
|Died||8 April 2017 (aged 85)
Time in space
|134d 20h 32m|
|Selection||Civilian Specialist Group 3|
|Missions||Soyuz 17, Salyut 4 Soyuz 26, Salyut 6 EO-1, Soyuz 27, Soyuz T-14, Salyut 7 EP-5, Soyuz T-13|
|Awards||Hero of the Soviet Union (2)|
Grechko graduated from the Leningrad Institute of Mechanics with a doctorate in mathematics. He was a member of Communist Party of the Soviet Union. He went on to work at Sergei Korolev's design bureau and from there was selected for cosmonaut training for the Soviet moon programme. When that program was cancelled, he went on to work on the Salyut space stations.
He was twice awarded the medal of Hero of the Soviet Union.
He resigned from the space programme in 1992 to lecture on atmospheric physics at the Russian Academy of Sciences. Grechko has written his memoirs as "Космонавт No. 34: От лучины до пришельцев," (Cosmonaut No. 34 From Splinter to Aliens) Olma Media Grupp, Moscow, 2013.
Grechko died aged 85 as a result of several chronic illnesses. He was survived by wife Lyudmila and daughter Olga.
Honours and awards
- Twice Hero of the Soviet Union
- Pilot-Cosmonaut of the USSR
- Three Orders of Lenin
- Medal "For Merit in Space Exploration"
- Medal "For Distinguished Labour"
- Jubilee Medal "In Commemoration of the 100th Anniversary since the Birth of Vladimir Il'ich Lenin"
- Medal "For the Development of Virgin Lands"
- Honorary membership in the Danish Astronautical Society
- Distinguished Member, Association of Space Explorers
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Georgi Grechko.|
- "Cosmonaut No. 34. From a sliver to aliens" (G. M. Grechko, 2013, OLMA Media Group)
- S. P. Korolev. Encyclopedia of life and creativity" – edited by C. A. Lopota, RSC Energia. S. P. Korolev, 2014 ISBN 978-5-906674-04-3
- The official website of the city administration Baikonur – Honorary citizens of Baikonur
|This Russian biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a space explorer is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|