Georgia's 10th congressional district special election, 2007
|Elections in Georgia|
On June 19, 2007, the U.S. state of Georgia held a special election to fill a vacancy in Georgia's 10th congressional district. A runoff was held on July 17 with Paul Broun defeating Jim Whitehead by less than 1%.
Since this is a nonpartisan special election, all candidates for the election were listed alphabetically, though their party affiliations are noted on the ballot. According to Georgia law, to win outright, a candidate needed a majority vote; since no candidate won more than 50% of the vote, the top two finishers competed in a runoff election on July 17, 2007.
- Denise Freeman – Baptist minister and 1998/2000 Democratic nominee
- James Marlow – Yahoo! Marketing executive
- Evita Paschall – Attorney
- Paul Broun – Physician
- Bill Greene – Conservative activist
- Mark Myers – Realtor & previous candidate
- Nate Pulliam – Former soldier in the US Army & Realtor
- Erik Underwood – Former Congressional Aide & Political consultant
- Jim Whitehead – St. Senator, 2005–2007
No candidate received a majority in the June 19 election so a runoff between Republicans Jim Whitehead and Paul Broun was held on July 17. Democrat James Marlow, the third-place finisher, had the right to request a recount within 48 hours of the official certification of the election results on June 25, 2007, due to the very small difference in total votes for himself and Broun, but did not do so.
The official returns for the June 19 election and the July 17 run-off are:
|Candidates||General Election, June 19||Run-Off Election, July 17|
- Kapochunas, Rachel (2007-07-18). "Too Close to Call for Candidates in Special Georgia Election". CQPolitics.com. Archived from the original on 2007-08-21.
- "Secretary Handel Closes Qualifying for 10th Congressional District Special Election" (Press release). Georgia Secretary of State. April 26, 2007. Archived from the original on 2007-05-10. Retrieved 2007-04-26.
- Kapochunas, Rachel (2007-04-26). "Candidate List Emerges for Special Election in Georgia's 10th". CQ.com. Archived from the original on 2007-09-29. Retrieved 2007-04-26.
- Georgia state law – O.C.G.A. 21-2-495
- Kapochunas, Rachel (July 24, 2007). "Georgia Conservative Broun Fulfills House Dreams With Special Win". CQPolitics.com. Archived from the original on 2007-09-29. Retrieved 2007-07-25.
- "Georgia Secretary of State Certifies June 19 Election Results" (Press release). Georgia Secretary of State. Archived from the original on 2007-09-11. Retrieved 2007-06-28.
- "Georgia Secretary of State certifies July 17, 2007 Special Election Runoff results". Georgia Secretary of State. Archived from the original on 2007-09-12. Retrieved 2007-07-24.
Candidate Web Sites
- Denise Freeman for Congress web site
- James Marlow for Congress web site
- Evita Paschall for Congress web site