Georgia's 12th congressional district
|Georgia's 12th congressional district|
Georgia's 12th congressional district - since January 3, 2013.
|Current Representative||Rick Allen (R–Augusta)|
Georgia's 12th congressional district is a congressional district in the U.S. state of Georgia. It is represented by Republican Rick Allen. The district's boundaries have been redrawn following the 2010 census, which granted an additional congressional seat to Georgia. The first election using the new district boundaries (listed below) were the 2012 congressional elections.
- Columbia (Partial, see also 10th district)
- Effingham (Partial, see also 1st district)
- Jeff Davis
List of representatives
|Congress||Tenure began||Tenure ended||Representative||Party||Constituency||Electoral history||Sources|
|District established and redistricted from the 3rd district following the 62nd Congress.|
|March 4, 1913||March 3, 1917||Dudley M. Hughes||Democrat||Re-elected in 1912.
Re-elected in 1914.
Failed to receive nomination for re-election in 1916.
|March 4, 1917||March 3, 1933||William W. Larsen||Democrat||First elected in 1916.
Re-elected in 1918.
Re-elected in 1920.
Re-elected in 1922.
Re-elected in 1924.
Re-elected in 1926.
Re-elected in 1928.
Re-elected in 1930.
Declined to seek re-election in 1932.
|District eliminated beginning with the 73rd Congress.|
|District re-established following the 107th Congress.|
|January 3, 2003||January 3, 2005||Max Burns||Republican||Bulloch, Burke, Clarke, Effingham, Glascock, Jefferson, Jenkins, Screven, Taliaferro, and Warren counties and parts of Bryan, Chatham, Oglethorpe, and Richmond counties.||Elected in 2002.|||
|January 3, 2005||January 3, 2015||John Barrow||Democrat||First elected in 2004.
Re-elected in 2006.
Re-elected in 2008.
Re-elected in 2010.
Re-elected in 2012.
Lost re-election in 2014.
|Bulloch, Burke, Candler, Effingham, Emanuel, Evans, Glascock, Hancock, Jefferson, Jenkins, Johnson, Montgomery, Screven, Taliaferro, Tattnall, Toombs, Treutlen, Warren, and Washington counties and parts of Baldwin, Chatham, and Richmond counties.|
|Appling, Bulloch, Burke, Candler, Coffee, Emanuel, Evans, Jeff Davis, Jenkins, Laurens, Montgomery, Richmond, Screven, Tattnall, Toombs, Treutlen, and Wheeler counties and parts of Columbia and Effingham counties.|
|January 3, 2015||incumbent||Rick Allen||Republican||First elected in 2014.
Re-elected in 2016.
|Democratic||Charles Walker, Jr.||62,904||44.81|
|Democratic gain from Republican|
Living former Members of the U.S. House of Representatives from Georgia's 12th congressional district
As of May 2015[update], there are two former members of the U.S. House of Representatives from Georgia's 12th congressional district who are currently living at this time.
|Representative||Term of office||Date of birth (and age)|
|Max Burns||2003–2005||November 8, 1948|
|John Barrow||2005–2015||October 31, 1955|
- Statistical Analysis of 2012 Congressional maps, Georgia Legislature. Last accessed 2012-01-01
- "Partisan Voting Index – Districts of the 115th Congress" (PDF). The Cook Political Report. April 7, 2017. Retrieved April 7, 2017.
- Justice Department approves Georgia's political maps. Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Last accessed 2011-12-27
- 2012 Congressional maps, Georgia Legislature. Last accessed 2012-1-1
- United States Congress. "Dudley Mays Hughes (id: H000920)". Biographical Directory of the United States Congress.
- United States Congress. "William Washington Larsen (id: L000103)". Biographical Directory of the United States Congress.
- United States Congress. "Max Burns (id: B001249)". Biographical Directory of the United States Congress.
- United States Congress. "John Barrow (id: B001252)". Biographical Directory of the United States Congress.
- Martis, Kenneth C. (1982). The Historical Atlas of United States Congressional Districts. New York: Macmillan Publishing Company.
- Martis, Kenneth C. (1989). The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress. New York: Macmillan Publishing Company.