Georgina Fitzalan-Howard, Duchess of Norfolk
||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2011)|
Georgina Susan Fitzalan-Howard, Duchess of Norfolk (born 30 January 1962), is the wife of Edward William Fitzalan-Howard, 18th Duke of Norfolk. She was born Georgina Susan Gore, the younger daughter of John Temple ("Jack") Gore (1931-) and his first wife Serena Margaret Mounsey. Her parents divorced in 1969.
Jack Gore is very distantly connected to the Earls Temple of Stowe (sharing common ancestry through Edward Gore (d. April 1801) and his wife Barbara Browne, a descendant matrilineally of Barbara Villiers, Duchess of Cleveland. Edward Gore was descended from Sir John Gore (d. 1636), Lord Mayor of London 1624. The common ancestry with the Gore baronets and the other two peerages held by the family goes back further to Sir John Gore's elder brother Sir Paul Gore (1567-1629) who received a baronetcy in 1622. Paul was ancestor of the Earls of Arran via his second son Arthur, the barons Harlech via the third son of this same second son, and the Gore-Booth baronets via his fourth son Francis). However, John Temple Gore is not in remainder to any of these titles.
Her paternal grandmother Lady Barbara Montgomerie (23 August 1909 – 1992) was eldest daughter of Archibald Montgomerie, 16th Earl of Eglinton by his former wife Lady Beatrice Dalrymple, daughter of the 11th Earl of Stair.
Lord Arundel succeeded to the Dukedom of Norfolk in 2002, and Lady Arundel then became the Duchess of Norfolk.
The Duchess has stood in for Her Majesty the Queen in rehearsals for the State Opening of Parliament.
Georgina worked at Colefax & Fowler as a paint specialist before her marriage. She married the Edward Fitzalan-Howard, then Earl of Arundel and Surrey, son of Miles Stapleton-Fitzalan-Howard, 17th Duke of Norfolk and his wife Anne Mary Teresa Constable-Maxwell, on 27 June 1987 at Arundel Cathedral; the wedding had 800 guests including the Princess of Wales (a personal friend of Edward Fitzalan-Howard). The couple moved into the East wing of Arundel Castle after their marriage.
They have five children (three sons and two daughters):
- Henry Miles Fitzalan-Howard, Earl of Arundel, b. 3 December 1987; he is heir apparent to the titles.
- Lady Rachel Rose Fitzalan-Howard, b. 10 June 1989
- Lord Thomas Jack Fitzalan-Howard, b. 14 March 1992
- Lady Isabel Serena Fitzalan-Howard, b. 7 February 1994
- Lord Philip Fitzalan-Howard, b. 14 July 1996
In April 2011, the Duke and Duchess, both Roman Catholics, announced their separation after 24 years of marriage.
Titles and styles
- Miss Georgina Susan Gore (1962–1987)
- Countess of Arundel and Surrey (1987–2002)
- Her Grace The Duchess of Norfolk (2002–present)
- The 16th Earl of Eglinton and his Countess were married in 1908 and divorced 1922 after producing five children, after which the Earl promptly remarried and had further children. Lady Barbara's grandparents, the 11th Earl of Stair and his wife Susan Harriet Grant-Suttie, also divorced in 1905; they were married in 1878, producing two children
- Helen Harrison. "Out of the ruins" Daily Telegraph, 7 April 2007. Retrieved 4 December 2012.
- "Duke and his wife to separate". Daily Mail. 13 April 2011. Retrieved 4 December 2012. According to friends, the Duke was moving out of Arundel Castle, rather than staying in a separate wing. The separation came as no shock to their friends.
- Helen Harrison. "Out of the ruins" Daily Telegraph, 7 April 2007. Retrieved 4 December 2012. Discusses Arundel Castle's kitchen garden and other improvements.