Printezis as a member of Olympiacos Piraeus.
|No. 15 – Olympiacos Piraeus|
|League||Greek Basket League
February 22, 1985 |
|Listed height||6 ft 9 in (2.06 m)|
|Listed weight||240 lb (109 kg)|
|NBA draft||2007 / Round: 2 / Pick: 58th overall|
|Selected by the San Antonio Spurs|
|2006–2007||→Olympia Larissa (loan)|
|Career highlights and awards|
Georgios Printezis (alternate spelling: Giorgos) (Greek: Γιώργος Πρίντεζης; born February 22, 1985) is a Greek professional basketball player. He is currently playing with Olympiacos Piraeus. He is 6 ft 9 in (2.06 m) tall and he plays at the power forward position. He is best known for his game-winning shot against CSKA Moscow at the end of the Euroleague 2011-12 season's Final. His nickname is "The Greek Lightning".
In the 2006-07 season, Printezis was loaned by Olympiacos to Olympia Larissa in the Greek League, where he averaged 11.5 points and 3.9 rebounds per game. At the Greek All-Star Game weekend that season, he won the slam dunk competition. At the end of that season, he was also voted the Greek League Best Young Player. Following that success, he returned to Olympiacos.
Back to Olympiacos
On April 27, 2011, Printezis returned to his previous club, Olympiacos, after being transferred from Málaga. In the Euroleague 2011-12 season's Final, he hit a game-winning shot with .7 seconds remaining on the game clock, to give Olympiacos the Euroleague championship, with a victory over CSKA Moscow.
On July 12, 2012, he signed a new three-year contract with Olympiacos. Prior to that, he had considered a three year, 4.5 million US dollars net income contract from Fenerbahçe Ülker, but chose to stay with Olympiacos instead. With Olympiacos, he also won the 2012-13 season championship of the Euroleague. On July 8, 2014, he extended his contract until 2017.
Printezis was selected by the San Antonio Spurs in the second round, with the 58th selection overall of the 2007 NBA Draft. The draft rights to Printezis were then acquired by the Toronto Raptors, in exchange for their second round draft pick in the 2008 NBA Draft (Spurs used that pick to draft Goran Dragić, and immediately traded Dragić to the Phoenix Suns to acquire the draft pick they used in 2009 to draft future NBA All-Rookie Second Team member DeJuan Blair). On January 20, 2011, the Toronto Raptors traded his draft rights to the Dallas Mavericks for Alexis Ajinça, a conditional second 2013 second round draft pick and cash.
On December 10, 2011, the draft rights to Printezis were traded to the New York Knicks, along with Tyson Chandler and the draft rights to Ahmad Nivins, in a three-way trade. The Mavericks received Andy Rautins from the Knicks, and a second round pick from the Washington Wizards. The Wizards received Ronny Turiaf from the Knicks, in addition to a Dallas 2012 second round pick, a 2013 Knicks second round pick, and cash considerations.
In the summer of 2012, Printezis turned down a one-year contract offer from the Knicks, that reportedly was for slightly more than the minimum NBA salary. On July 16, 2012, his and Kostas Papanikolaou's rights were traded to the Portland Trail Blazers, in a deal that sent Raymond Felton to New York. On February 21, 2013, his rights were subsequently traded to the Oklahoma City Thunder, in a deal that sent Eric Maynor to the Portland Trail Blazers. On July 15, 2014, his rights and Thabo Sefolosha, were traded to the Atlanta Hawks, in exchange for the rights to Sofoklis Schortsanitis, cash considerations, and a trade exception.
Greek national team
With the junior national teams of Greece, Printezis played at the 2001 FIBA Europe Under-16 Championship, and at the 2004 and 2005 FIBA Europe Under-20 Championships. He was selected to the senior men's Greek national basketball team that played at the 2008 Summer Olympic Games. He won the bronze medal at the FIBA EuroBasket 2009, and he also played at the 2010 FIBA World Championship.
|GP||Games played||GS||Games started||MPG||Minutes per game|
|FG%||Field-goal percentage||3P%||3-point field-goal percentage||FT%||Free-throw percentage|
|RPG||Rebounds per game||APG||Assists per game||SPG||Steals per game|
|BPG||Blocks per game||PPG||Points per game||PIR||Performance Index Rating|
Note: The Euroleague is not the only competition in which the player participated for the team during the season, he also played in domestic competition.
|†||Denotes seasons in which Printezis' team won the Euroleague|
Awards and accomplishments
- Greek Youth All-Star Game: MVP (2006)
- 4x Greek League Senior All-Star: (2007, 2008, 2013, 2014)
- Greek All-Star Game Slam Dunk Champion: (2007)
- Greek League Best Young Player: (2007)
- 2x Euroleague Champion: (2012, 2013)
- 2x Greek League Champion: (2012, 2015)
- Greek League Most Improved Player: (2012)
- Greek League Best Five Team: (2012, 2014)
- FIBA Intercontinental Cup Champion: (2013)
Greek national team
- FIBA EuroBasket 2009: Bronze
- ACB.com Georgios Printezis 2.06 m.
- FIBA.com Official Player Profile Won Greek Dunk Contest.
- FIBA.com Official Player Profile Best Greek Player 22 And Under.
- Gazzetta.gr Printezis signs with Unicaja Málaga (Greek).
- Sportando.net Printezis to land in Malaga.
- Olympiacos Inks Giorgios Pritenzis.
- ACB.com Giorgos Printezis abandona el Unicaja (Spanish).
- Euroleague.net Final Four Game 2 - May 13, 2012 - SINAN ERDEM ARENA GAME REPORT CSKA Moscow 61 - 62 Olympiacos.
- "OLYMPIACOS extends Euroleague hero Printezis". Euroleague.net. July 11, 2012. Retrieved July 8, 2014.
- Eurohoops.net Printezis said “no thanks” to Knicks.
- "Olympiacos, Printezis together until 2017". Euroleague.net. July 8, 2014. Retrieved July 8, 2014.
- Raptors Acquire Draft Rights To Giorgos Printezis
- Raptors Add Greek Forward Giorgos Printezis On Draft Night
- "Raptors Acquire Ajinca, Draft Pick And Cash Considerations From Dallas". NBA.com. Turner Sports Interactive, Inc. January 24, 2011. Retrieved January 24, 2011.
- "Printezis said "no thanks" to Knicks". Eurohoops.net. July 12, 2012. Retrieved July 12, 2012.
- "Trail Blazers Acquire Jared Jeffries From New York". iamatrailblazersfan.com. 2012-07-16. Retrieved 2012-07-16.
- "Thunder trade Eric Maynor to the Trail Blazers for Giorgos Printezis". 2013-02-21. Retrieved 2013-02-21.
- "Hawks get Sefolosha in trade with Thunder". Yahoo Sports. July 16, 2014. Retrieved July 16, 2014.
- Georgios Printezis at acb.com (Spanish)
- Georgios Printezis at draftexpress.com
- Georgios Printezis at esake.gr (Greek)
- Georgios Printezis at eurobasket.com
- Georgios Printezis at euroleague.net
- Georgios Printezis at fiba.com