Georgy Porgy (song)
|Single by Toto|
|from the album Toto|
|Toto singles chronology|
"Georgy Porgy" is a song written by David Paich, released on Toto's self-titled debut album in 1978. It was released as a single and charted on the Billboard Hot 100 (number 48) as well as on both the R&B (number 18) and the Dance (number 80) charts.
The song is still performed on tour. It is adapted with improvisational solos on guitar and keyboards.
"...it's imitating Paul Humphrey heavily; it's imitating Earl Palmer very heavily. When it comes to that groove, my biggest influences were Paul Humphrey, Ed Greene, Earl Palmer, and the godfather of that 16th-note groove, James Gadson. That "Georgy Porgy" groove I owe to them."
- Steve Lukather – guitars, Lead vocals
- Steve Porcaro – keyboards
- David Paich – piano
- David Hungate – bass
- Jeff Porcaro – drums, percussion
- Lenny Castro: percussion
- Marty Paich: string arrangements
- Sid Sharp: string arrangements
- Cheryl Lynn: backing vocals
A version by US soul band Charme was released in 1979 featuring an uncredited vocal by Luther Vandross. The single was re-released a few years later after the vocalist's rise in popularity and he was then credited as the featured artist. It remains a popular version in rare groove circles.
US disco/jazz-funk band Side Effect released their own version in 1980. It was on their After The Rain album. It made it to 77 in the US R&B charts.
The song was used by Devin the Dude in his song "Georgy" from album The Dude; and by Guru in "Kissed the World" from album Jazzmatazz, Vol. 4: The Hip-Hop Jazz Messenger: Back to the Future also.
In 2002, Japanese musician Ringo Sheena formed the band Yokoshima (邪) solely to play cover of "Georgy Porgy".
In 2005, guitarist Nils offered a rendition of this song from his popular Contemporary jazz radio Baja/TSR Records released album, Pacific Coast Highway. It is also sampled on the remix of Joe's "All Or Nothing" single from his 1994 album of the same name called the Georgy Porgy remix.
- Pop/Rock » Soft Rock » Soft Rock. "Soft Rock | Significant Albums, Artists and Songs". AllMusic. Retrieved 2014-03-24.
- "Official TOTO Website - Releases". Toto99.com. Archived from the original on 2010-07-25. Retrieved 2016-10-13.
- "Album Search for "toto"". AllMusic. Retrieved 2016-10-13.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2008-01-01. Retrieved 2008-11-13.
- "Sinclair (3) - L'Epreuve Du Temps (Vinyl)". Discogs.com. Retrieved 2016-10-13.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2010-03-07. Retrieved 2010-05-17.
- Dj Deckstream. "DJ Deckstream : Music Castle - ミュージック". Amazon.co.jp. Retrieved 2016-10-13.