28 April 1868|
Zhuravki, Poltava Governorate, Russian Empire
|Died||20 November 1908
Warsaw, Congress Poland
|Institutions||University of Warsaw|
|Alma mater||Saint Petersburg University|
|Doctoral advisor||Andrey Markov|
|Doctoral students||Wacław Sierpiński
|Known for||Voronoi diagram|
Georgy Feodosevich Voronoy (Ukrainian: Георгій Феодосійович Вороний; Russian: Гео́ргий Феодо́сьевич Вороно́й; 28 April 1868 – 20 November 1908) was a Russian mathematician. Among other things, he defined the Voronoi diagram.
From 1889, Voronoy studied at Saint Petersburg University, where he was a student of Andrey Markov. In 1894 he defended his master's thesis On algebraic integers depending on the roots of an equation of third degree. In the same year, Voronoy became a professor at the University of Warsaw, where he worked on continued fractions. In 1897, he defended his doctoral thesis On a generalisation of a continuous fraction.
Following a severe illness, Voronoy died on November 20, 1908.
Among his students was Wacław Sierpiński (Ph.D. at Jagiellonian University in 1906). Although he was not formally the doctoral advisor of Boris Delaunay (Ph.D. at Kiev University), his influence on the latter earns him the right to be considered so. 
- G.F. Voronoi (1908). "Nouvelles applications des paramètres continus à la théorie de formes quadratiques". Journal für die reine und angewandte Mathematik. 134: 198–287.
- Liebling, Thomas; Pournin, Lionel (2012). "Voronoi diagrams and Delaunay triangulations: ubiquitous Siamese twins" (PDF). Optimization Stories. Documenta Mathematica. Extra Volume ISMP. pp. 419–431.
- Национальный банк Украины ввел в оборот монету “Георгий Вороной”
- Syta, Halyna; van de Weygaert, Rien (2009). "Life and Times of Georgy Voronoi". arXiv: ..
- Georgy Voronoy at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- O'Connor, John J.; Robertson, Edmund F., "Georgy Voronoy", MacTutor History of Mathematics archive, University of St Andrews.
|This article about a Russian mathematician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|