Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Dean Devlin|
|Music by||Lorne Balfe|
|Distributed by||Warner Bros. Pictures|
Geostorm is an upcoming American disaster science-fiction action film co-written, co-produced and directed by Dean Devlin as his feature debut. The film stars Gerard Butler, Jim Sturgess, Abbie Cornish, Alexandra Maria Lara, Richard Schiff, Robert Sheehan, Daniel Wu, Eugenio Derbez, Ed Harris and Andy García. The plot follows a satellite designer who tries to save the world from a storm of epic proportions caused by malfunctioning climate-controlling satellites.
Principal photography began on October 20, 2014, in New Orleans, Louisiana. After poor test screenings, re-shoots took place in December 2016 under executive producer Jerry Bruckheimer, writer Laeta Kalogridis and director Danny Cannon. The film is the first co-production between Skydance Media and Warner Bros. Pictures. The film will be released in the United States on October 20, 2017.
In the near future, when climate-controlling satellites malfunction and release disaster-creating small pods all over the world, Jake Lawson (Gerard Butler) and his other fellow astronauts head into space to prevent the satellites from programming the small pods into creating a storm of epic proportions. They soon discover that the disasters weren't caused by a malfunction, but were done with intention and the only person who has the kill codes to shut down the satellites is President Andrew Palma (Andy García).
- Gerard Butler as Jacob "Jake" Lawson, Hannah's father.
- Jim Sturgess as Max Lawson, Jake’s younger brother and Hannah's uncle.
- Abbie Cornish as Agent Sarah Wilson, Max's love interest.
- Alexandra Maria Lara as Ute Fassbinder, the commander of a space station and Jake’s love interest.
- Ed Harris as Secretary Leonard Dekkom
- Andy García as President Andrew Palma
- Richard Schiff
- Robert Sheehan as Duncan, a crew member of a space station.
- Daniel Wu as Cheng, the Hong Kong-based supervisor for the Dutch Boy Program.
- Eugenio Derbez as Hernandez, a crew member of a space station.
- Zazie Beetz
- Adepero Oduye as Adisa
- Amr Waked as Dussette
- Talitha Bateman as Hannah Lawson, Jake’s daughter and Max's niece.
- Billy Slaughter as Karl Dright
- Tom Choi as Chinese Representative Lee
Katheryn Winnick was also cast as Olivia Lawson, Jake’s ex-wife and the mother of Hannah, but during reshoots, her role was recast with another actress who hasn't yet been revealed.
The pre-production began on July 7, 2014. Dean Devlin would direct the science fiction action film for Warner Bros. with Gerard Butler attached to star as the lead, and Jim Sturgess, Abbie Cornish, Ed Harris and Andy García also starring. On August 19, Alexandra Maria Lara joined the film's cast to play the commander of a space station and also Butler's character's love interest who helps him save the world. On September 26, Katheryn Winnick was added to the cast to play Olivia, Butler's character's ex-wife and mother of Hannah. On October 8, Eugenio Derbez was added to the cast of the film.
The principal photography on the film began on October 20, 2014, in New Orleans, Louisiana, and would last through February 10, 2015. Filming began on Loyola Avenue on the first day. Some NASA scenes were filmed at NASA Facility in New Orleans in November 2014 and January 2015. After poor test screenings in December 2015, reshoots were conducted in Louisiana in early December 2016, under new producer Jerry Bruckheimer, writer Laeta Kalogridis and director Danny Cannon. Winnick's role was recast with another actress during reshoots, while new characters were added into the script.
The film was originally set for release on March 25, 2016, but in August 2014, Warner cancelled this, and released Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice on that date instead. On December 11, 2014, WB shifted its live-action animated film Jungle Book to 2017 and gave its previous date from March 25, 2016 then October 21, 2016 to Geostorm. In September 2015, the studio again moved back the film from October 21, 2016, to January 13, 2017. In June 2016, the studio announced the release had been moved back from January 13, 2017, to October 20, 2017. The film will have an IMAX release.
- "Film Releases". Variety Insight. Retrieved September 27, 2016.
- "Geostorm". British Board of Film Classification. Retrieved August 21, 2017
- "Warner Bros., Skydance's 'Geostorm' Undergoes Reshoots, Brings on Jerry Bruckheimer". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved December 16, 2016.
- Pearson, Jennifer (October 27, 2014). "Abbie Cornish suits up as a sexy Secret Service agent on New Orleans set of Geostorm with 'presidential' Andy Garcia". Daily Mail. Retrieved November 22, 2014.
- A., Jonathan (August 13, 2014). "Gerard Butler's "Geostorm" Feature Film Now Hiring Crew Members in New Orleans". projectcasting.com. Retrieved October 20, 2014.
- McNary, Dave (11 April 2014). "Gerard Butler to Star in Sci-Fi Thriller ‘Geostorm’". variety.com. Retrieved 8 May 2014.
- Kit, Borys (August 15, 2014). "Jim Sturgess, Abbie Cornish in Talks to Join Gerard Butler in 'Geostorm' (Exclusive)". hollywoodreporter.com. Retrieved October 31, 2015.
- Sneider, Jeff (August 19, 2014). "‘Rush’ Star Alexandra Maria Lara Joins Gerard Butler in ‘Geostorm’". thewrap.com. Retrieved September 29, 2014.
- Yamato, Jen (September 26, 2014). "Katheryn Winnick Boards WB & Skydance’s ‘Geostorm’". deadline.com. Retrieved September 29, 2014.
- Ford, Rebecca (October 8, 2014). "'Instructions Not Included' Star Eugenio Derbez Joins 'Geostorm'". hollywoodreporter.com. Retrieved October 10, 2014.
- Scott, Mike (August 13, 2014). "George Clooney, Sandra Bullock, Gerard Butler, Tom Hiddleston pack bags for Louisiana film projects". nola.com. Retrieved October 20, 2014.
- B. Gill, Stanley (October 10, 2014). "Louisiana Film TV Production Jobs Hotline – October 10, 2014". thehollywoodsouthblog.com. Retrieved October 20, 2014.
- "Gerard Butler begins filming ‘Geostorm’ in New Orleans today". onlocationvacations.com. October 20, 2014. Retrieved October 21, 2014.
- "‘Geostorm’ Starring Gerard Butler NASA Scenes Extras Casting Call in New Orleans". projectcasting.com. October 30, 2014. Retrieved November 1, 2014.
- "Monday, Jan. 5 Filming Locations for Chicago PD, The Slap, Geostorm, Castle, SVU, & more!". onlocationvacations.com. January 4, 2015. Retrieved January 20, 2015.
- "Warner Bros Slots ‘Geostorm’ For 2016". deadline.com. 2 May 2014. Retrieved 8 May 2014.
- Sneider, Jeff (6 August 2014). "Warner Bros. Blinks in Marvel Showdown: ‘Batman v Superman’ Avoids ‘Captain America 3'". thewrap.com. Retrieved 7 August 2014.
- Kit, Borys (December 11, 2014). "Warner Bros. Pushes Release Date of 'Jungle Book: Origins'". hollywoodreporter.com. Retrieved December 12, 2014.
- McNary, Dave (September 1, 2015). "Gerard Butler’s ‘Geostorm’ Pushed Back to 2017". variety.com. Retrieved September 4, 2015.
- "'Lego Movie 2' delayed until 2019". Entertainment Weekly's EW.com. Retrieved 2016-06-18.