Geothermal power in Italy
Geothermal power accounts for about 1.6-1.8% of the total electric energy production in Italy and is about 7% of the total renewable energy produced in 2010.:95 The total energy from Geothermal was 5,660 GWh in 2015. Italy is the sixth country by geothermal installed capacity.
There are 33 active geothermal plants with a total capacity of 772 MW. All the plants are in Tuscany in the provinces of Grosseto, Pisa and Siena.:94 The province of Pisa alone contributes for more than half of the national production.
In the 20th century, demand for electricity led to the consideration of geothermal power as a generating source. Prince Piero Ginori Conti tested the first geothermal power generator on 4 July 1904 in Larderello, in the province of Pisa. It successfully lit four light bulbs. Later, in 1911, the world's first commercial geothermal power plant was built there. Experimental generators were built in other countries in the 1920s, but Italy was the world's only industrial producer of geothermal electricity until 1958.
On May 30, 2012, Enel Green Power announced the entry into service of the completely new geothermal power station Rancia 2 in the town of Radicondoli, in the province of Siena. The plant, which has a net installed capacity of 17 MW, will be able to generate about 150 GWh per year. The remaking of the central Rancia 2 falls within the group business plan 2012-2016, which envisages an investment package of around 500 million euros for development of geothermal plants in Tuscany.
While the update of Rancia 1 and Le Prata (in the towns of Radicondoli (SI) and Castelnuovo di Val di Cecina (PI) respectively) are in progress, the total renovation will also start soon for the three geothermal plants located in the town of Piancastagnaio (SI).
In 2013, Enel Green Power installed Gruppo Binario Bagnore3–1 MW. It was the first binary power plant in Italy.
- Geothermal energy in Italy
- Renewable energy in Italy
- Solar power in Italy
- Wind power in Italy
- Hydroelectricity in Italy
- Biofuel in Italy
- List of renewable energy topics by country
- Electricity sector in Italy
- "Rapporto Statistico 2010". Statistiche sulle fonti rinnovabili. Gestore Servizi Energetici (GSE). Retrieved 4 January 2012.
- See Geothermal electricity.
- Tiwari, G. N.; Ghosal, M. K. Renewable Energy Resources: Basic Principles and Applications. Alpha Science Int'l Ltd., 2005 ISBN 1-84265-125-0
- "Enel Green Power" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2016-03-04.
- Razzano, Francesco; Cei, Maurizio (2015). "Geothermal Power Generation in Italy 2010 - 2014 Update Report" (PDF). Proceedings World Geothermal Congress 2015.
- Paci, Marco (2017-03-31). "Innovation of geothermal power production in Italy" (PDF). Ministero dello sviluppo economico DGS-UNMIG.