Dunay in 2011
November 9, 1978
Akobo, South Sudan
|Alma mater||University of Bridgeport|
Ger Duany (born November 9, 1978) is a South Sudanese actor and model based in the United States. He is also one of the UNHCR’s high profile supporters as UNHCR Goodwill Ambassador for the East and Horn of Africa Region.
Duany was born in Akobo, South Sudan in 1978. He was forcefully recruited as a child soldier during the Second Sudanese Civil War. Duany successfully fled to Ethiopia at age 14, then to Kenya, and finally sought refuge in the United States when he was sixteen, becoming one of the Lost Boys of Sudan.
Duany made his debut as an actor in the 2004 philosophical comedy film I Heart Huckabees, in which he played a refugee called Stephen Nimieri. Duany was picked for the role because the film's producer and director David O. Russell wanted someone who had endured the real-life experience of being a refugee.
In mid-2011, he co-produced and starred in the documentary Ger: To Be Separate, about his journey from war child to refugee to Hollywood actor and international model. The film also showed his return to South Sudan, voting for the first time and celebrating the country's newly acquired independence on 9 July 2011.
During the 2015 World Refugee Day, Duany was announced as the UNHCR's Goodwill Ambassador for the East and Horn of Africa Region by the Kenya Country Representative, Raouf Mazou in Kakuma. Duany is currently one of the UNHCR's high profile supporters as its Goodwill Ambassador.
|2004||I Heart Huckabees||Stephen Nimieri||Comedy|
|2012||Ger: To Be Separate||Himself||Documentary|
|2012||Isn't It Delicious?||Limo driver|
|2014||The Good Lie||Jeremiah||Drama|
|2017||The Nile Hilton Incident||Clinton||Drama|
- "Meet Ger Duany, Refugee Turned Actor and Model". Vice. Retrieved 13 August 2015.
- "Stated Daily Blog - Stated Magazine". statedmag.com. Retrieved 13 August 2015.
- Alex Clark. "Ger Duany: 'As an actor, I share my life story with other kids who are struggling'". The Guardian. Retrieved 13 August 2015.
- "Star Of 'The Good Lie' Is A Lost Boy Of Sudan". WBUR. Retrieved 13 August 2015.
- Robert Ito (September 26, 2014). "No Longer Lost, He's Taking the Lead". The New York Times. Retrieved August 13, 2015.
- "Ger Duany: UB alumnus, actor attends special screening". Connecticut Post. Retrieved 13 August 2015.
- "Oh, Four Oh Four". Indiana Daily Student. Retrieved 13 August 2015.[permanent dead link]