This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (April 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Gerald L. Hassell
|Alma mater||Duke University|
New York University
|Occupation||Chairman and former CEO of The Bank of New York Mellon|
Gerald Hassell joined the Bank of New York in 1973 when he was only 21 years old as a management trainee, and has held various positions in the credit and corporate banking divisions. He was involved in the formation and operation of the bank's Communications, Entertainment & Publishing Division, and had responsibility for strategic planning and administrative services. Prior to his appointment as president and director in 1998, during which he replaced Tom Renyi who went on to become CEO of the bank, Hassell was a senior executive vice president and chief commercial banking officer. He was also a member of the bank's Senior Policy Committee.
He retained the presidency on the merger with Mellon and in 2011 became chairman and CEO,stepping down as president in 2012. Hassell remained CEO until Charles Scharf replaced him in July 2017 and will step down as chairman at the beginning of 2018.
Education and other activities
He is the former chairman of the Board of Visitors of The Fuqua School of Business at Duke University; a member of The Financial Services Roundtable and Financial Services Forum; a member of the board of Private Export Funding Corporation; and Vice Chairman of Big Brothers/Big Sisters of New York.
In 2012, Hassell and his wife, Anita-Agnes, donated $4 million to Duke University.
Hassell is married to Anita-Agnes. They have two children.
- Weidner, David (December 4, 2006). "CORRECT: BoNY-Mellon merger: Change in CEO broke the logjam". MarketWatch. Retrieved 17 April 2011.
- "COMPANY NEWS; NEW PRESIDENT, AN INSIDER, IS NAMED AT BANK OF NEW YORK". The New York Times. 10 September 1998. p. 4. Retrieved 17 April 2011.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2011-11-10. Retrieved 2011-10-13.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- "The Bank Of New York President Gerald Hassell Named Chair Of Fuqua Board Of Visitors - Duke's Fuqua School of Business". www.fuqua.duke.edu. Retrieved 2017-03-02.
- "Press Release". www.sec.gov. Retrieved 2017-03-02.