Gerald Joyce, 2010
|Born||1956 (age 59–60)|
|Institutions||The Scripps Research Institute|
|Alma mater||University of Chicago
University of California, San Diego
|Known for||in vitro evolution|
Gerald Francis "Jerry" Joyce (born 1956) is a professor and researcher at The Scripps Research Institute, best known for his work on in vitro evolution of ribozymes and deoxyribozymes, as well as his work on the origin of life.
Joyce received his Bachelor of Arts from the University of Chicago in 1978, completed his M.D. and Ph.D. at the University of California, San Diego in 1984. He was a postdoctoral fellow and senior research associate at the Salk Institute from 1985 to 1989, and joined Scripps in 1989. Joyce was elected to the U.S. National Academy of Sciences in 2001. He served as Dean of the Faculty at Scripps from 2006 to 2011, during which time he was instrumental in founding a second campus in Jupiter, Florida. He was elected to the American Academy of Arts & Sciences (AAAS) in 2011 and to the Institute of Medicine (IOM) in 2014. He is currently the director of GNF (Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation) and the chair of the JASON advisory group, which he joined in 1996.
Joyce received the Urey medal of the International Society for the Study of the Origin of Life (ISSOL) in 2005. In 2009, Joyce's lab was the first to produce a self-replicating in vitro system, capable of exponential growth and continuing evolution, composed entirely of RNA enzymes.
- NAS Award in Molecular Biology, 1994
- Pfizer Award in Enzyme Chemistry, 1995
- Herbert W. Dickerman Award, 1997
- Hans Sigrist Prize, 1997
- H. C. Urey Award, 2005
- Stanley Miller Medal, 2010
- "Joyce, Gerald" in VIVO
- "Welcome to Jupiter, Scripps Florida"pamphlet
- "Gerald Joyce".
- "ISSOL Medals and Honors"
- Lincoln, T. A.; Joyce, G. F. (2009). "Self-Sustained Replication of an RNA Enzyme". Science 323 (5918): 1229–1232. doi:10.1126/science.1167856. PMC 2652413. PMID 19131595.
- Wilson da Silva, "Life-like evolution in a test tube", Cosmos Magazine Online