Gerald Legge, 9th Earl of Dartmouth
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|The Right Honourable
The Earl of Dartmouth
|9th Earl of Dartmouth|
16 October 1962 – 14 December 1997
|Preceded by||Humphry Legge|
|Succeeded by||William Legge|
|Born||26 April 1924|
|Died||14 December 1997 (aged 73)|
(m. 1948; div. 1976)
Gwendoline May Seguin
(m. 1980–97; his death)
|Children||William Legge, 10th Earl of Dartmouth
Hon. Rupert Legge
Charlotte, Duchess of Carcaci
Hon. Henry Legge
|Parents||Humphry Legge, 8th Earl of Dartmouth
Roma Ernestine Horlick
Background and education
On leaving Eton in 1942, he joined the Coldstream Guards as a Captain and served with them until the end of the Second World War, having been mentioned in despatches. He was subsequently a director of the farming company Rea Bros (based at Ashcombe House) from 1958 to 1989, chairman of the Royal Choral Society from 1970 to 1992 and chairman of the Anglo-Brazilian Society from 1975 to 1994. He succeeded his father in the earldom in 1962.
- William Legge, 10th Earl of Dartmouth (b. 23 December 1949)
- Hon. Rupert Legge (b. 1 January 1951), married Mary Victoria Susan Ottley (M. Victoria S. Ottley), daughter of Lionel Edward Bruce Ottley, and had issue:
- Lady Charlotte (b. 16 July 1963), married Don Alessandro Paternò Castello, 13th Duke of Carcaci (b. 1961), and had issue:
- Hon. Henry Legge (b. 28 December 1968), married Cressida Hogg (youngest daughter of Sir Christopher Anthony Hogg), on 21 December 1995, and had issue:
Lord and Lady Dartmouth divorced in 1976. Lady Dartmouth later married the 8th Earl Spencer and became the stepmother of Lady Diana Spencer (later the Princess of Wales), while Lord Dartmouth married Gwendoline May Seguin four years later. Lord Dartmouth died on 14 December 1997 and was succeeded by his oldest son, William.
- Person Page - 24491 at the peerage.com
- Don Alessandro Paterno Castello di Cárcaci, 13° Duca di Cárcaci at thepeerage.com
- The Heirs of Europe: PATERNÒ CASTELLO, heirsofeurope.blogspot.com; accessed 4 April 2016.
- Christopher Hogg: Executive Profile & Biography - Businessweek
- Olivia Daisy and Violet Legge profiles, thepeerage.com; accessed 4 April 2016.
- Hebe Rosalind Legge profile, thepeerage.com; accessed 4 April 2016.
- Gerald Humphrey Legge, 9th Earl of Dartmouth, peerage.com; accessed 4 April 2016.
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by the Earl of Dartmouth
|Peerage of Great Britain|
|Earl of Dartmouth