Geraldine R. Dodge Foundation
The Geraldine R. Dodge Foundation is an American philanthropic organization based in Morristown, New Jersey, which nurtures leaders, ideas, and institutions that transcend self-interest and promote a sustainable future. The foundation believes that philanthropy includes not only providing resources, but also connecting leaders across sectors, sharing expertise, and promoting collaboration to help build movements for change in important matters. It funds New Jersey-focused arts, education, environment, and media initiatives that are innovative and promote collaboration and community-driven decision making and offers a technical assistance program geared towards strengthening the capacity of the state's nonprofit community.
The Dodge Foundation was established in 1974 through a generous bequest from Mrs. Geraldine Dodge, daughter of William and Almira Rockefeller, and has grown to become one of the largest private foundations in New Jersey. Since its inception, Dodge has awarded nearly $450 million in grants. It awards about $11 million in grants annually through three grant cycles. Chris Daggett became President and CEO of the foundation in 2010.
In 1986, the Dodge Foundation launched the biennial Geraldine R. Dodge Poetry Festival, the largest poetry event in North America, and in the following year spawned a complementary Poetry-in-the-Schools Program.
In the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy, the foundation provided a lead gift to the New Jersey Recovery Fund, hosted by the Community Foundation of New Jersey with support from local and national foundations, New Jersey corporations and individuals. The New Jersey Recovery Fund, one of the top philanthropic supporters of the state's Sandy recovery, awarded 25 grants totaling more than $4 million to groups working to address the Sandy recovery in several key areas: planning and environment, public information and engagement, community health, and the arts.
- "What We Fund". Geraldine R. Dodge Foundation.
- Geraldine R. Dodge Foundation homepage http://www.grdodge.org/about-us/history. Missing or empty
- "Dodge Grants". Geraldine R. Dodge Foundation.
- Westhoven, William. "Dodge Foundation awards near $11M in 2014". Daily Record.
- McGlone, Peggy. "Former N.J. governor candidate Chris Daggett is named Dodge Foundation CEO". The Star Ledger. Retrieved June 19, 2015.
- Reich, Ronnie. "Dodge Poetry Festival returns, bigger than ever, to Newark". The Star Ledger.
- "New Jersey Recovery Fund". Community Foundation of New Jersey.
- Gurian, Scott. "THE LIST: TOP PRIVATE DONATIONS MADE TOWARD NJ'S HURRICANE SANDY RECOVERY". NJ Spotlight.