The original logo of the Geraldton Guardian
|Founder(s)||Edward Constantine, Frederick Gardner|
|Editor||H Allerton Cowper, R M Cochrane|
The Geraldton Guardian was established at Geraldton, Western Australia on 1 October 1906 to serve the Victoria and Murchison Districts. It was launched on principles of liberal democracy, state rights, nationalism and British preference.
The Geraldton Guardian was established by the proprietors, Constantine and Gardner, at the "Guardian Buildings", Marine Terrace, Geraldton, Western Australia. Edward Constantine, the senior partner of Constantine and Gardner was born in Cornwall, England but emigrated to South Australia with his parents at the age of three.
Initially the Geraldton Guardian was published biweekly on Tuesday and Friday. It consisted of eight demy-folio pages printed on a demy Wharfedale machine. From 15 October 1907, publication changed to tri-weekly on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. It was now bring printed on a super double royal Wharfedale powered by a 5-horsepower engine.
On 1 January 1929 the Guardian amalgamated with the other Geraldton newspaper, the Geraldton Express (established in 1878), and was published as The Geraldton Guardian and Express, an evening daily.
On 1 January 1948 it changed its name back to The Geraldton Guardian.
Issues of the Geraldton Guardian (1906 - 1928) and (1948 - 1950) plus The Geraldton Guardian and Express (1929 - 1947) have been digitised as part of the Australian Newspapers Digitisation Program, a project of the National Library of Australia in cooperation with the State Library of Western Australia.
- "Introductory". Geraldton Guardian. 2 October 1906. p. 4. Retrieved 11 March 2014.
- "The Geraldton guardian". State Library of Western Australia catalogue. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- Battye, James Sykes (1985). Cyclopedia of Western Australia (Facsimile ed.). State Library of Western Australia: Hesperian Press. p. 986. ISBN 0859050726. Retrieved 12 October 2015.
- "Ourselves and our paper". The Geraldton Guardian. 8 October 1907. p. 2. Retrieved 13 August 2016.
- "The Geraldton Newspaper Merger". Geraldton Guardian. 8 December 1928. p. 1. Retrieved 11 March 2014.
- "Ourselves". Geraldton Guardian and Express. 3 January 1929. p. 1. Retrieved 11 March 2014.
- "The Geraldton Guardian with which is incorporated the "Geraldton Express"". Geraldton Guardian. 3 January 1948. p. 1. Retrieved 11 March 2014.
- "Australian Newspaper Digitisaton Program". National Library of Australia. Retrieved 2 November 2015.
- "Geraldton guardian and express". State Library of Western Australia catalogue. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- "'The Geraldton guardian". State Library of Western Australia catalogue. Retrieved 20 October 2015.