Bancker was the son of Gerard Bancker Sr. and Maria de Peyster, who had married in New York City in 1731. He was the grandson of Johannes de Peyster (1666 – 1719), the 23rd Mayor of New York City between 1698 and 1699, and great-grandson of Johannes de Peyster, Sr.
He was Deputy Treasurer from 1776 to 1778, and New York State Treasurer from 1778 to 1798.
- Wilson, James Grant (ed.) The memorial history of the City of New-York, Vol. II, p. 54 (1892)
- Allaben, Frank. John Watts de Peyster, Volume 1, p. 18-19 (1908)
- Manual of the corporation of the city of New York, p. 395-96 (1853)
- The map, at U.S. Historical Archive
- The sale, in NYT on April 2, 1898
- Political Graveyard
- The New York Civil List compiled by Franklin Benjamin Hough (page 35; Weed, Parsons and Co., 1858) (Google Books)
Peter Van Brugh Livingston
|New York State Treasurer
de Peyster family tree
|This article about a politician from the state of New York is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|