|José Gerardo Álvarez-Vázquez|
|Other names||El Indio, El Chayán.|
$ 2 million USD bounty.
Arrested on April 21, 2010.
José Gerardo Álvarez-Vázquez (aka: El Indio or El Chayán) is a Mexican drug trafficker who worked for the Beltrán-Leyva Cartel and then for Édgar Valdez Villarreal's criminal organization known as Los Negros. In 2008, the United States government offered a $2 million reward for his capture.
According to Mexican federal authorities, Álvarez Vázquez presumably controlled the transport of drugs in the State of Mexico as well in the state of Guerrero. It is said that he fought for the leadership for the organization against Héctor Beltrán Leyva and Sergio Villarreal Barragán with the help of Edgar Valdez Villarreal. He was also in charge of some routes for the transport of drugs to the U.S. on behalf of the Beltrán Leyva and Sinaloa Cartels.
Kingpin Act sanction
On 2 October 2008, the United States Department of the Treasury sanctioned Álvarez Vázquez under the Foreign Narcotics Kingpin Designation Act (sometimes referred to simply as the "Kingpin Act"), for his involvement in drug trafficking along with nine other international criminals and six entities. The act prohibited U.S. citizens and companies from doing any kind of business activity with him, and virtually froze all his assets in the U.S.
On April 21, 2010, the Mexican military raided a household in Huixquilucan; during the raid, troops were met with gunfire from cartel gunmen. After the gunfight, soldiers cordoned off the zone which led to the capture of Gerardo Alvarez-Vázquez.
- Escobedo, Juan (2008-12-23). "6'-1" Mobster José Gerardo Álvarez-Vázquez is Wanted in the U.S.". U.S. State Department. Retrieved 2010-06-23.
- de la Luz González, María (2010-04-22). "'El Indio' peleaba cártel a Héctor Beltrán" (in Spanish). El Universal (México). Retrieved 2010-05-23.
- "DESIGNATIONS PURSUANT TO THE FOREIGN NARCOTICS KINGPIN DESIGNATION ACT" (PDF). United States Department of the Treasury. 15 May 2014. p. 8. Archived from the original (PDF) on 14 May 2013. Retrieved 28 May 2014.
- "An overview of the Foreign Narcotics Kingpin Designation Act" (PDF). United States Department of the Treasury. 2009. p. 1. Archived from the original (PDF) on 28 May 2014. Retrieved 28 May 2014.
- "Militares y sicarios chocan en Edomex" (in Spanish). El Universal (México). 2010-04-22. Retrieved 2010-05-23.
- Althaus, Dudley (2010-04-22). "Major drug cartel leader captured in Mexico | World". Houston Chronicle. Retrieved 2010-05-23.
- Mier, Saul (2010-04-23). "Video of Vasquez arrested in Mexico". BBC. Retrieved 2010-06-23.