|Full name||Gerardo Fabián Barbero|
21 August 1961|
Lanús, Buenos Aires Province, Argentina
|Died||4 March 2001
|Peak rating||2520 (January 1986)|
Barbero came fifth in the World Junior Chess Championship of 1978. He was Argentine champion in 1984 and played on board one for the Chess Olympiad team in 1990. He played six times for Argentina, between 1978 and 1994, at the Chess Olympiads. Barbero was awarded the title of Grandmaster in 1987.
In 1986 he moved to Budapest, Hungary, where he was married and had a son. In Hungary, he developed a friendship with Bobby Fischer, who, according to GM Eugenio Torre, "liked Barbero". He died in Budapest of cancer in 2001.
The third chapter of Tibor Karolyi's 2009 book Genius in the Background is devoted to him.
|This section uses algebraic notation to describe chess moves.|
Barbero had a win against Bent Larsen in Buenos Aires in 1991:
1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6 3.Nf3 d5 4.Nc3 c6 5.e3 Nbd7 6.Qc2 Be7 7.b3 a6 8.Bd3 b5 9.0-0 0-0 10.e4 b4 11.Na4 dxe4 12.Bxe4 Bb7 13.Bg5 Nxe4 14.Bxe7 Qxe7 15.Qxe4 Rab8 16.c5 a5 17.Rfe1 Rbd8 18.a3 Nf6 19.Qh4 Ba6 20.axb4 axb4 21.Nb6 Bb5 22.Qf4 Rb8 23.Ne5 Rfd8 24.Re3 Rb7 25.g4 Ra7 26.Rae1 Ne8 27.g5 f6 28.Nf3 Nc7 29.gxf6 gxf6 30.Nh4 Qf7 31.Kh1 Kh8 32.Rg1 Qf8 33.Ng6+ hxg6 34.Rh3+ 1–0
- Barbero, Gerardo F. FIDE rating history, 1982-2001 at OlimpBase.org
- Karolyi, Tibor; Aplin, Nick (2009). "3". Genius in the Background. Quality Chess. pp. 82–110. ISBN 978-1-906552-37-4.
- "Major Tournaments and Argentine Chess Championships" (in Spanish). Archived from the original on 2009-10-25.
- Men's Chess Olympiads: Gerardo Barbero. OlimpBase.
- Gerardo F Barbero chess games at 365Chess.com
- Gerardo F Barbero player profile and games at Chessgames.com
|This biographical article relating to an Argentine chess figure is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|