Gerardo Beni is a professor of electrical engineering at University of California, Riverside who, with Jing Wang, is known as the originator of the term 'swarm intelligence'  in the context of cellular robotics and the concept of 'electrowetting' , with Susan Hackwood. He also devised, with Xuan-Li Xie, the Xie-Beni Index  for measuring the validity of fuzzy clustering.
He is the author of 'From Swarm Intelligence to Swarm Robotics' in the book Swarm Robotics
Beni is married to Susan Hackwood. They have two children.
- Method and apparatus for object positioning while at UC Santa Barbara.
- Object analysis of multi-valued images while at UCSB, together with J Wang.
- ... (incomplete list)
- Beni, G., Wang, J. Swarm Intelligence in Cellular Robotic Systems, Proceed. NATO Advanced Workshop on Robots and Biological Systems, Tuscany, Italy, June 26–30 (1989)
- Beni,G. and Hackwood,S.,Electrowetting Displays,Applied Physics Letter, 38,4,pp.207-209,1982
- Xie, X.L., and Beni,G. A Validity Measure for Fuzzy Clustering, IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol. 13, pp. 841-847, (1991)
- ISBN 978-3-540-24296-3, DOI 10.1007/b105069, Springer.
- "Electrical Engineering: Gerardo Beni". Archived from the original on 2015-01-05. Retrieved 2007-09-18.
- Gerardo Beni
- Patent Database Search Results: IN/Gerardo AND IN/Beni in US Patent Collection