Dog of Two Head
|Dog of Two Head|
|Studio album by Status Quo|
|Recorded||Pye Records, London|
|Label||Pye NSPL 18371|
|Status Quo chronology|
|Singles from Dog of Two Head|
Dog of Two Head is a 1971 rock album by Status Quo released by Pye Records, their fourth studio album. At the time of recording, the band consisted of Francis Rossi (credited on the sleeve as Mike Rossi), Rick Parfitt (credited as Ritchie Parfitt), Alan Lancaster and John Coghlan (credited as John Coughlan).
March 1971 saw the new four-man lineup of the band release another non-album single: a Rossi/Young song called "Tune to the Music". The single was not a hit. The band then set to work writing and recording a new album. A couple of the songs, such as the opening track "Umleitung" (German for 'diversion') had been written as far back as 1970.
In November 1971 the album was released.
A single from the album, Rossi and Young's "Mean Girl", was to become a UK #20 hit some time later, in April 1973, after they had their third top ten British hit single with "Paper Plane", from their next album Piledriver.
When "Mean Girl" charted, the record company decided to release another single from the album: a rerecording of "Gerdundula", the B-side to their 1970 single "In My Chair". This was released in July 1973, and failed to chart. The B-side to this single was Rossi and Parfitt's "Lakky Lady", taken from the band's previous album Ma Kelly's Greasy Spoon.
AllMusic largely praised the album's unusual stylistics in their retrospective review, commenting that Status Quo "were going to find their characteristic sound in their posterior effort, Piledriver, but never again were they going to sound as innovative and inventive as they sound here."
- "Umleitung" (Alan Lancaster, Roy Lynes) - 7:11
- "Nanana (Extraction I)" (Francis Rossi, Bob Young) - 0:51
- "Something's Going on in My Head" (Lancaster) - 4:44
- "Mean Girl" (Rossi, Young) - 3:53
- "Nanana (Extraction II)" (Rossi, Young) - 1:11
- "Gerdundula" (Manston, James) - 3:49
- "Railroad" (Rossi, Young) - 5:30
- "Someone's Learning" (Lancaster) - 7:08
- "Nanana" (Rossi, Young) - 2:26
1998 bonus tracks
- "Tune to the Music" [Previously Unreleased Version] - 3:36
- "Good Thinking" [Previously Unreleased Version] - 3:40
- "Time to Fly" (Lancaster) - 4:18
- "Nanana" [Previously Unreleased Version] - 2:58
- "Mean Girl" [Previously Unreleased Version] - 3:58
2003 reissue bonus tracks
- "Mean Girl" [Early Mix] (Rossi, Young) - 3:58
- "Tune to the Music" (Rossi, Young) - 3:09
- "Good Thinking" (Rossi, Rick Parfitt, Lancaster, John Coghlan, Young) - 3:43
- "Mean Girl" [BBC Session] (Rossi, Young)
- "Railroad" [BBC Session] (Rossi, Young)
- Francis Rossi - guitar, vocals
- Rick Parfitt - guitar, piano, vocals
- Alan Lancaster - bass, guitar, vocals
- John Coghlan - drums