|Mayor of Zugló
District XIV, Budapest
12 October 2014
|Preceded by||Ferenc Papcsák|
|Member of the National Assembly|
14 May 2010 – 5 May 2014
|Born||11 June 1975|
|Political party||LMP (2009–2013)
PM (2013– )
|Profession||political scientist, politician|
Gergely Karácsony (born June 11, 1975) is a Hungarian political scientist, politician, member of the National Assembly (MP) from 2010 to 2014. He was elected Mayor of Zugló in 2014. His research areas are electoral systems and electoral behavior.
Karácsony worked for the Medián market and public opinion research company as a research manager. He became Director of Research in 2007. In addition he has been an educator in the Corvinus University of Budapest since 2004. He became a member of the newly formed Politics Can Be Different (LMP) party in 2009. During the 2010 parliamentary election he served as campaign manager of the party. He became Member of Parliament from Budapest regional list (3rd place). In May 2010 he was elected deputy leader of the LMP parliamentary fraction. As a result he left the Medián firm.
He was the party's candidate at the District II of Budapest by-election in November 2011. He came third with 6.45 percent after Zsolt Láng (Fidesz) and Katalin Lévai (MSZP). Both MSZP and LMP agreed the candidate who received fewer votes will withdraw in favour of the stronger one, however Karácsony also participated in the run-off.
In January 2013, the LMP's congress rejected against the electoral cooperation with other opposition forces, including Together 2014. As a result members of LMP’s “Dialogue for Hungary” platform, including Karácsony, announced their decision to leave the opposition party and form a new organization. Benedek Jávor said he eight MPs leaving LMP would keep their parliamentary mandates. The leaving MPs established Dialogue for Hungary as a full-fledged party.
In June 2014, Karácsony was elected co-chair of the Dialogue for Hungary alongside Tímea Szabó, when his predecessor Jávor became a Member of the European Parliament (MEP) in the 2014 European Parliament election. Karácsony won the mayoral election in Zugló during the 2014 local elections as a joint candidate of MSZP, DK and Együtt–PM. According to the new rules, he also became a member of the General Assembly of Budapest.
- "Schiffer vezeti az LMP képviselőcsoportját" (in Hungarian). Index.hu. May 10, 2010. Retrieved May 10, 2010.
- "Fidesz candidate wins Budapest by-election in landslide". Politics.hu. November 28, 2011. Retrieved January 4, 2012.
- "Fidesz candidate cruises to victory in closely-watched Budapest by-election". Politics.hu. November 15, 2011. Retrieved January 4, 2012.
- "LMP rejects proposals for new strategy at party congress". 27 January 2013. Retrieved 2013-02-08.
- "LMP rebels to establish Dialogue for Hungary as a full-fledged party". 4 February 2013. Retrieved 2013-02-08.
- "Karácsony: Új társelnök az Együtt-PM-ben". 2014-06-15. Retrieved 2014-06-16.
|Mayor of Zugló
|Party political offices|
|Co-President of Dialogue for Hungary
alongside Tímea Szabó