||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (February 2013)|
Gerhard Paul Hochschild (April 29, 1915 in Berlin – July 8, 2010 in El Cerrito, California) was a German-born American mathematician who worked on Lie groups, algebraic groups, homological algebra and algebraic number theory.
Hochschild wrote his thesis in 1941 at Princeton University with Claude Chevalley on Semisimple Algebras and Generalized Derivations. In 1956–7 he was at the Institute for Advanced Study. He was professor at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and from the end of the 1950s at the University of California, Berkeley.
Hochschild (1945) introduced Hochschild cohomology, a cohomology theory for algebras, which classifies deformations of algebras. Hochschild & Nakayama (1952) introduced cohomology into class field theory.
- Hochschild, G. (1945), "On the cohomology groups of an associative algebra", Annals of Mathematics. Second Series 46: 58–67, ISSN 0003-486X, JSTOR 1969145, MR 0011076
- Hochschild, G.; Nakayama, Tadasi (1952), "Cohomology in class field theory", Annals of Mathematics. Second Series 55: 348–366, ISSN 0003-486X, JSTOR 1969783, MR 0047699
- Hochschild, G. (1965), The structure of Lie groups, San Francisco, Calif.: Holden–Day Inc., MR 0207883
- Hochschild, G. (1971), Introduction to affine algebraic groups, San Francisco, Calif.: Holden–Day Inc., MR 0277535
- Hochschild, Gerhard Paul (1981), Basic theory of algebraic groups and Lie algebras, Graduate Texts in Mathematics 75, Berlin, New York: Springer-Verlag, ISBN 978-0-387-90541-9, MR 620024
- Hochschild, Gerhard Paul (1983), Perspectives of elementary mathematics, Berlin, New York: Springer-Verlag, ISBN 978-0-387-90848-9, MR 710303
- Moore, Calvin C.; Ribet, Kenneth A.; Wolf, Joseph A. (2011), IN MEMORIAM Gerhard Hochschild Professor of Mathematics, Emeritus UC Berkeley 1915 - 2010
- Ferrer Santos, Walter (2011). "Gerhard Hochschild (1915/2010) A Mathematician of the XXth Century". arXiv:1104.0335.
- Ferrer Santos, Walter; Moskowitz, Martin, eds. (2011), "Gerhard Hochschild (1915-2010)" (PDF), Notices of the American Mathematical Society 58 (8): 1078–1099, ISSN 0002-9920
- Hochschild at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Pictures of Gerhard Hochschild from Oberwolfach
- Finding Aid to the Gerhard P. Hochschild papers, 1941-2004, The Bancroft Library