This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (May 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Time zone||UTC+8 (Malaysian Standard Time)|
Gerik (Jawi: ڬريق; Chinese: 宜力 alternate spelling: Grik) is a mukim and the district capital of Hulu Perak District, Perak, Malaysia. The town is also known as Rest Town owing to its strategic location next to East-West Highway , the main route linking Kedah and Penang to the east coast.
From the historical records, the first person to enter Gerik was Tun Saban, the son of Tun Perak, and the treasurer of the Malacca Sultanate in the early 16th century. During the fall of the Malacca government into the hands of the Portuguese, Tun Saban migrated to Hulu Patani and then moved to Belum, Gerik. He became the chairman of the community at Belum.
Gerik is bordered by Reman State to the north. Raja Reman trespassed into Gerik and captured Klian Intan and Kroh (Pengkalan Hulu). By the 19th century, most of Gerik's territory was conquered by King Reman. In 1902, the monarchy in Reman was abolished by the Siamese government and the Gerik region was incorporated as a colony.
On July 9, 1902, the Siamese government entered into an agreement with the British government to hand over Kedah, Perlis, Kelantan and Terengganu to British rule. The agreement was signed in Bangkok by Sir John Anderson (Straits Settlements) and the Siam Foreign Secretary. Among the conditions in the agreement, the Siamese government also had to hand over the Gerik district which had been taken by Raja Reman to the Perak government. The ceremony of handing over the Gerik area was held in Kroh on July 16, 1909.
- District and Land Office
- Malaysian Public Works Department (JKR) district offices
- District mosque
- Bus Station
- Klinik Kesihatan Plang
- Restoran Kak Nik Plang: A famous Malay restaurant on the main road of Kampung Plang, Gerik, beside SK Plang and Mosque, before reaching the town of Gerik
- Restoran Limra: (Mamak special)-A Mamak restaurant on the main road of Gerik, at the middle of the row, before reaching Bangunan Persekutuan Gerik (The Federal Building)
- Restoran Riz: A Malay cuisine restaurant owned by an Akademi Fantasia artiste named Riz
- Restoran Nasi Lemak Ayam Godam: Fresh Nasi Lemak with chicken in its own peculiar cooking style
- Chau Y Restaurant: Serving Chinese cuisine, including freshwater fish, wild boar meat, and anchovies with cashew nuts. Opens for lunch and dinner. On the main road of Gerik.
- 113 Restaurant: A Chinese restaurant on the main road of Gerik, at the end of the same row with Chau Y
- Kentucky Fried Chicken (KFC)
- Salim Kari Kepala Ikan
- Gerai Che Mah Batu 3: Malay cuisine
- Pizza Hut: Delivery
- Gemilang Cake House: Bakery
- Rumah Makan 33300 Kampung Air Suda
- Chop Roti Canai Kampung Air Suda
School and education
- SK Plang
- SK Sri Adika Raja
- SK Mahkota Sari
- SK Batu 4
- SJK(T) Gerik
- SMK Gerik
- SMK Sultan Idris Shah II
- SMK Seri Budiman
- SMK Kenering
- MRSM Gerik
- Kolej Komuniti Gerik
- SMK Batu 4,Jalan Kuala Rui
- SJK(C) Chung Wa
- SJK(C) Batu 2
- SJK(C) Kuala Rui
- SM Teknik Gerik
- SK Pahit
- SK Kerunai
- SK Budiman
- SK Tan Sri Ghazali Jawi
- Sk Ganda Temengor
Fishing and camping
- Belum Rainforest Resort
- Air Beruk (Camping Site)
- Homestay Eco Resort Kampung Plang
- Tasik Banding
- Tasik Temenggor (Temenggor Lake)
- Tasik Bersia Lama
- Gerik Illo
Gerik is located right next to the intersection of highways 4 and 76. Highway is the main route preferred by Penang and Kedah motorists to access the east coast states of Kelantan and Terengganu. Highway links Gerik to Pengkalan Hulu (right next to the border with Thailand) and then Baling in Kedah due north, and to Kuala Kangsar, the royal seat of Perak in the south.
The constituency also supplies two seats to the Perak State Legislative Assembly, namely:
Both seats are also currently held by Barisan Nasional.
- Khamarrul Azahari Razak; Rozaimi Che Hasan; Khairul Hisyam Kamarudin; Habibah Norehan Haron; Hafizah Harun; Rudzidatul Akmam Dziyauddin; Kasturi Devi Kanniah; Faizah Shaharom (August 2015). "UTM High Impact Research @ Royal Belum - Temengor Forest Complex, Gerik Perak: A compilation of scientific expedition activities in 2013-2015". UTM Razak School of Engineering and Advanced Technology, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur. Retrieved 2018-12-12.
- "Ahli Parlimen". Portal Rasmi Parlimen Malaysia. Retrieved 24 March 2016.
|This Perak location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|