German (Manx: Carmane) is a parish in the sheading of Glenfaba in the Isle of Man. It formerly included Peel, where St German's Cathedral is located. It includes most of the village of St John's (part of the village being in the parish of Patrick), where the Tynwald ceremony is located. It is a mainly hilly area, apart from a small coastal plain near Peel. 4.3% of the population were able to speak Manx Gaelic at the time of the 2011 census. This is compared to 3.2% in 1875.
- Manxnotebook German. Detail about Manx parishes and description of the parish.
- Manxnotebook - German with full description of the parish and photographs
- Manxnotebook Kirk German Antiquities
- Isle of Man Building Control Districts showing parish boundaries
- Glenology - Manx Glens. An ongoing study of Manx glens, their locations and meanings.
|This Manx location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|