German School Tokyo Yokohama
|German School of Tokyo Yokohama
|2-4-1 Chigasaki-Minami, Tsuzuki-ku
Yokohama, Kanagawa Prefecture, 224-0037
|Opened||20 September 1904|
|Grades||Kindergarten - 12th grade|
The school includes a kindergarten, a primary school, a middle school (Orientierungsstufe) and a secondary school, which ends with the Abitur graduation exam with the option to enter the university. Other possible graduations are available excluding the possibility to go to university. These are the technical secondary school certificate (Fachoberschulabschluss), the secondary school certificate (Realschulabschluss) and the secondary modern school qualification (Hauptschulabschluss). Classes are held in German. For foreign languages English, Japanese, French, Latin and Spanish (as a school club) are available.
The closest subway station is Nakamachidai Station (10 minutes by foot).
The German School of Tokyo Yokohama was established in 1904 in Yokohama. After the 1923 Kanto Earthquake many German families moved from Yokohama to Tokyo. The school opened its new building in Ōmori, Tokyo in 1934. The building suffered little damage during World War II but was impounded by the American military government as enemy property following Germany's capitulation in May 1945, so the school activity came to a standstill. American authorities returned the school's impounded property in 1951 and school activity finally could restart on December 1, 1953, with 17 students in total. In 1960 the first graduation students received their certificates. On November 27, 1967, the school's old building was replaced with a modern structure. After 1970 the student numbers rose so fast that there was not enough space. It was decided to build a new, more spacious school building in Tsuzuki-ku, Yokohama. The school's activities started there in September 1991 with 450 students. A fourth floor was added in 2010.
Japanese international schools in Germany:
- Japanische Internationale Schule zu Berlin
- Japanische Internationale Schule in Düsseldorf
- Japanische Internationale Schule Frankfurt
- Japanische Schule in Hamburg
- Japanische Internationale Schule München
- Former school: Toin Gakuen Schule Deutschland
- "Access." German School of Tokyo Yokohama. Retrieved on January 18, 2015. "2-4-1 Chigasaki-Minami, Tsuzuki-ku, Yokohama 224-0037, Japan"
- Deutscher Schulverein Tokyo-Yokohama (ed.):20. Jahresbericht 1974. September 1973-August 1974.Tokyo, 1974.
- Heinz Riesenhuber, Josef Kreiner (ed.):Japan ist offen. Chancen für deutsche Unternehmen.Heidelberg,1998.
- Stiftung Deutsche Schule Tokyo Yokohama (ed.):Festschrift Deutsche Schule Tokyo Yokohama.[1904-2005].Tokyo,2005.
- (Japanese) 井本 美穂. "Kindergarten Education in Deutsche Schule Tokyo Yokohama : With a Focus on the Cooperation between Kindergarten and Elementary School" (東京横浜独逸学園の幼稚園教育 : 幼小連携を中心に). 音楽文化教育学研究紀要 (25), 215-222, 2013. Hiroshima University教育学部音楽文化教育学講座. See profile at CiNii.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to German School Tokyo Yokohama.|