German Township, Fulton County, Ohio
|German Township, Fulton County, Ohio|
The Goll Homestead, a historic site in the township
Location of German Township in Fulton County
|• Total||50.8 sq mi (131.6 km2)|
|• Land||50.7 sq mi (131.4 km2)|
|• Water||0.1 sq mi (0.2 km2)|
|Elevation||728 ft (222 m)|
|• Density||127.3/sq mi (49.2/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086126|
German Township is one of the twelve townships of Fulton County, Ohio, United States. The 2010 census found 6,443 people in the township, 2,097 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the southwestern corner of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Franklin Township - north
- Dover Township - northeast corner
- Clinton Township - east
- Freedom Township, Henry County - southeast corner
- Ridgeville Township, Henry County - south
- Springfield Township, Williams County - southwest
- Brady Township, Williams County - west
The village of Archbold is located in southern German Township.
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
The Goll Woods State Nature Preserve northwest of Archbold, beside the Tiffin River, offers bird watching and hiking through old-growth forest. Built in the 1860s and 1870s, the Goll Homestead is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
All of the township is within the Archbold telephone exchange, which is served by UTO (United Telephone Company of Ohio,) doing business as CenturyLink, with telephone numbers using the following Numbering Plan Codes:
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Fulton County 2014 Population Estimates For Cities, Villages, and Townships Ohio State University, published May 2015. Accessed 29 March 2016.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.
- State Board Recommends 10 Ohio Nominations to the National Register of Historic Places, Ohio Historical Society, 2005-08-05. Accessed 2010-08-06.
- School District Boundary Maps GreatSchools.org. Retrieved 29 March 2016
- Zip Map: Fulton County ZipMap.net
- PUCO: Ohio Telephone Exchange Areas puco.gov
- PUCO: Electric Service Areas of Ohio puco.gov