German University in Cairo
|الجامعة الألمانية بالقاهرة|
|Campus||New Cairo, Egypt and Berlin, Germany|
The German University in Cairo (GUC, Arabic: الجامعة الألمانية بالقاهرة al-gamaʿa al-almāniyya bil-Qāhira, German: Deutsche Universität in Kairo) is a university in New Cairo City, Cairo, Egypt. The language of instruction is English.
It's an independent English language, liberal arts university located in New Cairo, Egypt, and non-profit oriented German-Egyptian private institution, managed by a consortium of Germans and Egyptians with the vision of building a leading center of excellence in teaching and research that will effectively contribute to the general welfare nationally and internationally and endeavour the scientific, technical, economic and cultural cooperation between Egypt and Germany.
The University offers German-European styled learning programs at the undergraduate, graduate and professional levels, along with a continuing education program. GUC's faculty members, adjunct teaching staff and visiting lecturers are internationally diverse and include academics, business professionals, diplomats, journalists, writers and others from the Germany, Egypt and other countries. The German university in Cairo- Deutsche Universität in Kairo is established in cooperation with the State Universities of Ulm and Stuttgart, under the patronage of the Egyptian Ministry of Higher Education, the Ministry of Science, Research and Arts, State of Baden-Württemberg, Germany, and supported by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD), the German Embassy in Cairo, the Arab/German Chamber of Industry and Commerce (AHK), the Federal Ministry of Education and Research, Germany, The State University of Tübingen and The State University of Mannheim.
The German University in Cairo was founded in October 2003 by German and Egyptian delegates headed by the Egyptian President and the German Chancellor inaugurated the German University in Cairo in an unprecedented event in both educational and research fields. It is the first integrated German university outside Germany that has 3 Bologna cycles, namely B.Sc., M.Sc. and PhD offering 71 study programs (31 undergraduate and 40 postgraduate). GUC focuses on integrating Academia, Research, and Industry together for the best practices model of education.
In 2007, GUC inaugurated the first Industrial Park that is linked to education and research in the Africa and the Middle East. It is described by professionals as “the state-of-the-art approach in combining Education, Research, Practice, and Industry in one institute”. GUC is the first university to operate an Industrial Park that is integrated in the core activities of the students
In 2007, GUC inaugurated the Guest House in the heart of Ulm as a basic step to host the researchers, academics, and students in exchange programs with different sister universities.
Moving on to an unpreceded achievement, in 2011 GUC inaugurated The German University in Cairo-Berlin office, as a step forward to promote international research and education activities. Researchers from both Egypt & Germany cooperate on closer research activities in Pharmaceutical, Engineering, as well as in Management fields. By 2012, German University in Cairo established The Berlin campus in the heart of Berlin City. This visionary step aims to facilitate the transfer of not only the German know-How but also the European technical knowledge to the GUC international calibers. Having a branch in Germany helped the GUC students and graduates to be the best representative and the vivid example of what excellence in education and in research can be. This facilitates the cultural exposure, the orientation to industrial achievements, and the involvement in the European/German world economy.
GUC went for a further step in quality enhancement by being accredited by ACQUIN. Based on International standards GUC degrees are accredited by AQUIN. This accreditation supports international scholars and top ranked calibers in the international labor market.
German University in Cairo is located on 577000 m2. The Campus includes a 70400 m2 sports area, 77500 m2 industrial Park in one of the most high-high tech educational complex in the arena. The idea to establish the GUC was initiated by Prof. Ashraf Mansour, who studied at the Universität Ulm as a DAAD scholarship candidate and Alexander von Humboldt Laureate. He received his Ph.D, his Habilitation as well as his Professorship in Ulm. Prof. Mansour was inspired by the stimulating research environment in which theory was closely linked to scientific practice and decided in the 90’s to proceed with all necessary means/efforts to transfer this model to Egypt through the establishment of a private university named: “German University in Cairo”. Extensive efforts to gather potential high caliber/supporters for this, at the time, “Visionary” idea from close friends to family-members locally and from German friends gained through years of study in Germany, allowed for the significant milestone of signing a presidential decree in 2002, as a 100% privately financed university.
Now, The German University in Cairo is the largest Educational Institute that covers research that is linked to industry, academic programs that are associated to business and covers activities that are linked to the society with 10000 students in undergraduates program, and more than 500 in post graduate studies. It is the only integrated German university outside Germany that has 3 Bologna cycles, namely B.Sc., M.Sc. and Ph.D offering 71 study programs (31 undergraduate and 40 postgraduate).
Patron Universities and Partners
GUC is established under the patronage of:
and in cooperation with and support of :
- The Egyptian Ministry of Higher Education.
- The German Embassy in Cairo.
- The Egyptian Embassy in Berlin.
- The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD).
- Goethe Institute.
- The Ministry of Science, Research and Arts, State of Baden-Wuerttemberg, Germany.
- The Federal Ministry of Education and Research, Germany.
- The Arab/German Chamber of Industry and Commerce (AHK).
- The State University of Mannheim.
- The State University of Tuebingen.
- Academy of Visual Arts Leipzig.
- Center for International Migration (CIM).
- Stifterverband für die Deutsche Wissenschaft.
- Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft.
- Deutsche Evangelische Oberschule Kairo (DEO).
- Deutsche Schule der Borromäerinnen (Cairo and Alexandria).
There is an agreement between the GUC and the Universities of Ulm and Stuttgart that:
- The study program will be approved by both sides to fulfill all requirements of the German and Egyptian university degrees as well as to meet the international standards.
- The Universities of Ulm and Stuttgart intend to provide the GUC with the required technical assistance as well as the teaching staff according to their capacity. However, in case of any lack in personnel, they will assist in selecting qualified German staff from other German institutions.
- The Universities of Ulm and Stuttgart will assist in assuring the quality of teaching in cooperation with the GUC. It is further planned to widen this scope of cooperation with other German Universities.
- The language of instruction is English, while the German language is obligatorily taught for four consecutive semesters to give the students a concrete base of the language to prepare them for internships and mutual exchange programs with German universities. The students are encouraged to continue learning the German language so that they graduate mastering an additional language beside their English.
Governance and administration
The German University in Cairo is an independent educational institution governed by a self-perpetuating Board of Trustees. In addition, there is a panel of trustees emeriti that functions as an advisory board. The Board has its own by-laws and elects a chairperson for an annual term.
German Academic & Public Figures
Prof. Dr. Peter Frankenberg Minister of Science, Research and the Arts, Baden-Wuerttemberg
Prof. Dr. Hans Wolff Vice-Chairman of Board of Trustees, President of Duale Hochschule Baden-Württemberg) & Former Rector, University of Ulm
H. E. Michael Bock German Ambassador to Egypt
Prof. Dr. Wolfram Ressel Rector, University of Stuttgart
Prof. Dr. Karl Joachim Ebeling Rector, University of Ulm
Prof. Dr. Dieter Fritsch Former Rector, University of Stuttgart
Dr. Arend Oetker President Stifterverband, a German industry initiative promoting science and higher education
Egyptian Academic & Public Figures
- Prof. Dr. Ashraf Mansour
Prime Founder and Chairman of Board of Trustees
- Prof. Dr. Mahmoud Hashem Abdel-Kader
- Prof. Dr. Mahmoud Hamdi Zaqzouq
Former Minister of Awqaf-Endowments
- Prof. Dr. Ibrahim El-Dimeery
Former Minister of Transportation
- Prof. Dr. Amin Mubarak
President of Industry Committee
- Prof. Dr. Mohamed Khalil Abdel-Khalek.
- Prof. Dr. Nadia Aziz Yassin.
- Prof. Dr. Ibrahim Ibrahim.
- Dr. Eng. Mohamed Allam Khaled.
- Eng. Abdel-Fattah Mansour (Vice Chairman for Planning & Development).
- Prof. Dr. Kamal El-Din Zaki.
- Prof. Dr. Mohamed Fawzy Badii.
- Prof. Dr. Mohamed Ahmed Saleh.
- Prof. Dr. Fathi Saad.
- Eng. Essam Hamouda (Secretary General).
- Eng. Mohamed Ahmed Mohamed Shapan ( Marsa Matrouh )
The GUC offers undergraduate and graduate curricula to its students.
Undergraduate and graduate schools
- Faculty of Applied Sciences and Arts.
- Faculty of Engineering and Materials Science.
- Faculty of Information Engineering and Technology.
- Faculty of Media Engineering and Technology.
- Faculty of Pharmacy and Biotechnology.
- Faculty of Management Technology.
- Faculty of Postgraduate studies and Scientific Research.
Most of the student activities at GUC are organized by the students and for the students and address a wide variety of social, political and economic issues.