Germans in the Czech Republic
|German citizens in the Czech Republic as of December 31|
There are various communities of Germans in the Czech Republic (Czech: Německá menšina v Česku, German: Deutsche in Tschechien). After the Czech Republic joined the European Union in the 2004 enlargement and was incorporated into the Schengen Area, migration between the two countries became relatively unrestricted. Both countries share a land border of 815 kilometers (506 mi).
In the 2001 census, 39,106 Czech citizens, or around 0.4% of the Czech Republic's total population, declared German ethnicity. In 2011 census the methodology changed, it was newly possible to declare multiple ethnicity or to not declare ethnicity at all, while 25% of citizens not declared its ethnicity. In this census 18,658 citizens declared German as its sole ethnicity, while another 6,563 in combination with another ethnicity. According regional statistics largest number of citizens with German ethnicity is 4,431 in Karlovy Vary Region (1.5% of total population in this region). On district level largest share is in Sokolov District (2.3%) followed by Karlovy Vary District (1.2%), both in Karlovy Vary Region.
Following municipalities had in 2011 share of German ethnicity population over 6%:
- Horská Kvilda (Klatovy District) - 9.72%
- Měděnec (Chomutov District) - 9.49%
- Kryštofovy Hamry (Chomutov District) - 8.64%
- Mikulov (Teplice District) - 7.80%
- Tatrovice (Sokolov District) - 7.74%
- Abertamy (Karlovy Vary District) - 7.42%
- Horní Blatná (Karolvy Vary District) - 7.38%
- Pernink (Karolvy Vary District) - 6.37%
- Stříbrná (Sokolov District) - 6.22%
- Josefov (Sokolov District) - 6.14%
- Vejprty (Chomutov District) - 6.07%
- Statistical Yearbook of the Czech Republic - 2015
- "CIA – The World Factbook – Germany". The World Factbook. Central Intelligence Agency. May 31, 2012. Retrieved 2016-08-14.
- "29-5. Population: by nationality and municipality size group", Basic results of the Population and Housing Census 2001, Czech Statistical Office, 2001-03-01, retrieved 2009-12-23[permanent dead link]
- Tab. 614a Obyvatelstvo podle věku, národnosti a pohlaví, Czech Statistical Office, retrieved 2016-12-29