Location of Germantown in Washington County, Wisconsin.
|• Total||34.40 sq mi (89.09 km2)|
|• Land||34.37 sq mi (89.03 km2)|
|• Water||0.02 sq mi (0.06 km2)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||581.31/sq mi (224.45/km2)|
Germantown is a village in Washington County, Wisconsin, United States. The population was 19,749 at the 2010 census. The village surrounds the Town of Germantown. In July 2007, Germantown was ranked the 30th most appealing place to live in the United States by Money Magazine.
Germantown is located at (43.223206, -88.120433).
According to Wisconsin First Nations (a Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction resource), Germantown is located on Potawatomi treaty land. The village also falls within the lands of the Peoria, Menominee, Miami, and Sioux Indigenous peoples, as shown by Canadian not-for-profit organization Native Land Digital.
The United States Census Bureau indicates Germantown has a total area of 34.45 square miles (89.23 km2), of which, 34.42 square miles (89.15 km2) of it is land and 0.03 square miles (0.08 km2) is water.
|U.S. Decennial Census|
As of the census of 2010, there were 19,749 people, 7,766 households, and 5,501 families residing in the village. The population density was 573.8 inhabitants per square mile (221.5/km2). There were 8,092 housing units at an average density of 235.1 per square mile (90.8/km2). The racial makeup of the village was 92.6% White, 2.2% African American, 0.2% Native American, 3.1% Asian, 0.5% from other races, and 1.4% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.0% of the population.
There were 7,766 households of which 35.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 59.5% were married couples living together, 7.8% had a female householder with no husband present, 3.6% had a male householder with no wife present, and 29.2% were non-families. 24.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 9.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.53 and the average family size was 3.03.
The median age in the village was 41.7 years. 25.4% of residents were under the age of 18; 6.2% were between the ages of 18 and 24; 24% were from 25 to 44; 30.7% were from 45 to 64; and 13.4% were 65 years of age or older. The gender makeup of the village was 48.9% male and 51.1% female.
As of the census of 2000, there were 18,260 people, 6,904 households, and 5,129 families residing in the village. The population density was 530.5 people per square mile (204.8/km²). There were 7,075 housing units at an average density of 205.5 per square mile (79.4/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 95.83% White, 1.35% Black or African American, 0.25% Native American, 1.60% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 0.34% from other races, and 0.60% from two or more races. 1.12% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 6,904 households out of which 37.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 63.9% were married couples living together, 7.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 25.7% were non-families. 20.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 6.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.63 and the average family size was 3.08.
In the village, the population was spread out with 27.1% under the age of 18, 6.4% from 18 to 24, 33.7% from 25 to 44, 23.5% from 45 to 64, and 9.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 36 years. For every 100 females, there were 97.1 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 93.3 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $60,742, and the median income for a family was $68,975. Males had a median income of $47,123 versus $31,400 for females. The per capita income for the village was $25,358. About 1.9% of families and 2.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 2.5% of those under age 18 and 4.7% of those age 65 or over.
Germantown schools are operated by the Germantown School District. The district comprises four elementary schools, one middle school, and one high school, and has about 3,019 students as of October 20, 2008.
- Kennedy Middle School
- Amy Belle Elementary
- County Line Elementary
- MacArthur Elementary
- Rockfield Elementary
- "2017 U.S. Gazetteer Files". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved Mar 28, 2019.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-11-18.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved July 30, 2019.
- Ashford, Kate; Bartz, Andrea; Cox, Jeff; Fitch, Asa; Gandel, Stephen; Hyatt, Josh; Kelley, Rob; Knight, Kathleen; et al. "Best Places to Live: Top 100". Money Magazine. Archived from the original on 2009-08-23. Retrieved 2009-10-14. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Wisconsin First Nations Treaty Map". Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction. Retrieved 2019-06-20.
- "Native Land". Native Land Digital. Retrieved 2019-06-20.
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2012-01-25. Retrieved 2012-11-18. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Census of Population and Housing". Census.gov. Archived from the original on April 26, 2015. Retrieved June 4, 2015. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31. Cite uses deprecated parameter
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Germantown, Wisconsin.|