Germany's Next Topmodel (season 9)
|Germany's Next Topmodel (season 9)|
Cycle 9 cast
|No. of contestants||25|
|Country of origin||Germany|
|No. of episodes||15|
|Original release||6 February –|
8 May 2014
Germany's Next Topmodel, Cycle 9 is the ninth season of the show that is aired on the German television network ProSieben. The show began to air on 6 February 2014 under the catch phrase Show Yourself. As in the last preceding years, a preselection was done and open castings were not part of the show anymore. The first episode started with 25 finalists, selected from 70 semifinalists.
The judging panel consists of Thomas Hayo and Wolfgang Joop. The prizes included a modeling contract with OneEins GmbH Management, a spread and cover in the German Cosmopolitan and an Opel Adams. The winner of the competition was 17-year-old Stefanie Giesinger from Kaiserlautern.
- 1 Episode summaries
- 1.1 Episode 1: Berlin to Singapore
- 1.2 Episode 2: If Heidi does not come, then it is serious
- 1.3 Episode 3: Makeovers!-Style Edition
- 1.4 Episode 4: Body Edition
- 1.5 Episode 5: Boys Edition
- 1.6 Episode 6: Transformation Edition
- 1.7 Episode 7: Extreme Edition
- 1.8 Episode 8: Road Trip Edition
- 1.9 Episode 9: Expression Edition
- 1.10 Episode 10: Fashion Week Edition
- 1.11 Episode 11: Sexy Edition
- 1.12 Episode 12: Girls Edition
- 1.13 Episode 13: Real World Edition
- 1.14 Episode 14: Semi-Finals
- 1.15 Episode 15: Live Finale
- 2 Contestants
- 3 Summaries
- 4 Controversy
- 5 Post Topmodel careers
- 6 References
Episode 1: Berlin to Singapore
Original airdate: 6 February 2014
The first episode of Germany's Next Topmodel 2014, starts at Berlin's Tempodrom where out of the thousands who'd had applied and attended casting calls nationwide, 70 of Germany's most gorgeous women fought for the top 25 spots on offer. This year's judging panel along with host Heidi Klum, consists of regular judge Thomas Hayo and newcomer to the top model series, but renowned fashion designer; Wolfgang Joop. After the 25 finalists were chosen, Heidi announced that the girls would be flying to Singapore. Upon arrival to the luxurious Sentosa Island hotel, beds were chosen and friendships forged. The next day, the girls are met down by the pool with Heidi and this week's photographer Christian Anwander for their very first photo-shoot; A bikini shoot. Some girls excel, in particular Aminata, Ivana, Jolina and Nancy while others fall flat. The girls do a runway training afterwards where Nancy and Jolina surprise the judges, but in the end Ivana is deemed best. In the end it was Lisa S. and Luxembourgian contestant Jill who did not impress the judges, and both were eliminated from the competition.
- Eliminated: Jill Schmitz & Lisa Seibert
- Featured photographer: Christian Anwander
Episode 2: If Heidi does not come, then it is serious
Original airdate: 13 February 2014
This episode, the 23 remaining contestants the girls are put under the pressure of their very first runway challenge at one of Singapore's very own fashion shows; Digital Fashion Week where Jolina is chosen to open and Nathalie to close the show. Later, a photo-shoot at Gardens by the Bay has the girls posing with a snake, where Ivana produces the best picture, followed by Jolina, Sarah and Aminata. Unable to attend both the Fashion Show and photo-shoot, Heidi leaves a recorded video telling the girls they are all heading to Los Angeles. Here, one by one, the girls are assessed on both their walk and photo's. Unable to impress the judges this week is Franziska who is sent home, whilst the 18 remaining girls move into the mansion. Fata Hasanovic who was forced to withdraw due to a lack of a visa returned in cycle 11 where she placed third.
- Quit: Pauline Cottin, Laura Haas, Ina Bartak & Fata Hasanovic
- Chosen to open the fashion show: Jolina Fust
- Chosen to close the fashion show: Nathalie Volk
- Eliminated: Franziska Wimmer
- Featured photographer: Christian Anwander
Episode 3: Makeovers!-Style Edition
Original airdate: 20 February 2014
In Episode 3 the girls receive their makeovers. Some find it hard to part with their old looks, whilst other's are happy to undergo the change. Samantha is praised for her fantastic long hair that is dyed in orange. Later at the photo shoot, the girls will be flying high as this photo-shoot challenges them to overcome heights. Ivana, Jolina and Samantha impress the judges the most with their sedcard, however five girls are able to earn their immunity for their performances at the other photo shoot: Ivana, Nancy, Nathalie, Sainabou and Antonia. The judges also note Sarah's improvement in her walk, however Stefanie, Jana, Emma and Laura are unable to impress leaving the latter as the eliminee for her lack of progress.
- Immune from elimination: Antonia Balzer, Ivana Teklic, Nancy Nagel, Nathalie Volk & Sainabou Sosseh
- Bottom four: Emma Kahlert, Jana Heinisch, Laura Kristen & Stefanie Giesinger
- Eliminated: Laura Kristen
- Featured photographer: Oliver S. & Brian Bowen Smith
Episode 4: Body Edition
Original airdate: 27 February 2014
With this week's focus on the body, the girls head to their casting for Shape Magazine, where Stefanie, Betty, Simona, Samantha, Sainabou and Antonia impress the client. In the end Antonia is the one to be booked. Later, the girls perform in the opening trailer shoot shot by Rankin. Heidi notes Nathalie, Aminata and Anna as stand-outs while Jolina, Stefanie and Emma disappoint. At judging Ivana and Aminata perform best while Sarah, Stefanie, Lisa and Nancy are critiqued for their walks as well as Jolina and Emma for their video-shoot thus placing in the bottom five. Stefanie fails at both and lands herself in the bottom two however it is Emma who the judges feel is just not ready yet and is sent packing.
- Booked for job: Antonia Balzer
- Bottom five: Emma Kahlert, Jolina Fust, Nancy Nagel, Sarah Weinfurter & Stefanie Giesinger
- Eliminated: Emma Kahlert
- Featured photographer: Michael Reh & Rankin
- Guest judge: Alessandra Ambrosio
Episode 5: Boys Edition
Original airdate: 6 March 2014
With the focus of the week being interaction with male models, the girls head off to select male models for their shoot where Ivana flirts with one of the male models despite having a boyfriend. The shoot this week takes place on Malibu beach shot by renowned photographer Gilles Bensimon. The girls have to shoot in pairs with male models, most of the girls leave Heidi disappointed however Ivana, Simona and Nancy stand-out. The challenge later follows where the girls have to film a commercial with a male model, Samantha and Antonia leave Thomas Hayo unimpressed, while Lisa's performance is said to be horrible and even making judge Wolfgang Joop laugh, but it is Sarah who delivers the best performance earning herself immunity with Sainabou being second. Lisa, Antonia and Samantha are chastised at judging for their dull performances in both the shoot and the challenge, but Lisa enjoys kind of a puppy license while Samantha is said to have more potential thus sending Antonia home.
- Challenge winner/Immune from elimination: Sarah Weinfurter
- Bottom three: Antonia Balzer, Lisa Gelbrich & Samantha Brock
- Eliminated: Antonia Balzer
Episode 6: Transformation Edition
Original airdate: 13 March 2014
The week starts with a casting for German Cosmopolitan where Jolina, Karlin, Nancy and Anna reach the second round with only Jolina and Karlin booked. In the first photo shoot the girls are divided into groups where some of them have to play the role of men or boys. Ivana, Nathalie and Nancy are deemed best. In the second photo shoot the girls are body painted and have to pose with spiders. The photographer Rankin books Karlin, Aminata, Betty and Samantha for his magazine but only Samantha's pictures are published in the magazine. Simona and Jana are sent home for their problems at the photo shoots.
- Booked for job: Jolina Fust, Karlin Obiango & Samantha Brock
- Immune from elimination: Aminata Sanogo, Betty Taube, Ivana Teklic & Nathalie Volk
- Eliminated: Simona Hartl
- Bottom two: Jana Heinisch & Sarah Weinfurter
- Eliminated: Jana Heinisch
- Featured photographer: Thomas Hayo & Rankin
Episode 7: Extreme Edition
Original airdate: 20 March 2014
In this week's photo shoot the girls have to be hysterical divas who go ballistic what makes Sarah, Lisa, Sainabou and Aminata struggle while Ivana, Betty and Nathalie perform best. In the casting for Emmi AG Jolina, Stefanie, Samantha, Sarah and Nancy reach the second round where Jolina gets her second job and thus flies to India. The girls have to present extreme outfits at panel, where Ivana's walk is, like always, deemed best. In the end Sainabou is eliminated for her bad performance at both; photo shoot and runway.
- Best photo: Betty Taube
- Booked for job: Jolina Fust
- Bottom Three: Aminata Sanogo, Sainabou Sosseh & Sarah Weinfurter
- Eliminated: Sainabou Sosseh
- Featured photographer: Matt McCabe & Rankin
Episode 8: Road Trip Edition
Original airdate: 27 March 2014
In the beginning Wolfgang Joop books Ivana and Samantha for his Wunderkind show at Paris Fashion Week. After that the girls do a photo shoot in Utah where Stefanie, Nathalie and Betty perform best, while Lisa, Karlin, Sarah and Nancy are unable to impress. It's also the first time for Ivana to fail at a photo shoot. The girls also produce a fashion film, where Ivana, Nancy and Jolina impress while Stefanie, Lisa, Karlin, Sarah and Anna fall flat. Ivana's walk is once again deemed best. In the end Lisa is eliminated for being not as good as the other girls, not understanding the judges' critique and even being dull witted at times.
- Best photo: Stefanie Giesinger
- Booked for job: Ivana Teklic & Samantha Brock
- Bottom Three: Karlin Obiango, Lisa Gelbrich & Sarah Weinfurter
- Eliminated: Lisa Gelbrich
- Featured photographer: Christian Anwander & Thomas Hayo
Episode 9: Expression Edition
Original airdate: 3 April 2014
This week's first photo shoot takes place at an old train station where the girls have to cry as if they would move away. In the second photo shoot they have to give different emotions they're told. Ivana is deemed best at the photo shoot. Samantha and Sarah are the weakest at the photo shoots and Nancy struggles on the runway heavily thus making them land in the bottom three. In contrast to them Ivana's and Jolina's walks are deemed perfect. Though reaching the next round Nancy behaves rude to Heidi when getting her photo what annoys the judges.
- Challenge winner: Ivana Teklic
- Bottom Three: Nancy Nagel, Samantha Brock & Sarah Weinfurter
- Eliminated: None
- Featured photographer: Robert Erdmann & Thomas Hayo
Episode 10: Fashion Week Edition
Original airdate: 10 April 2014
The girls head back to Berlin for a big week of castings. The girls head to various designers where Jolina, Ivana and Nancy are booked as runway models. Jolina is praised for being booked for all three shows. The girls also visit the casting for Joy Magazine, where Anna, Samantha and Karlin are selected. The rest of the girls tour Berlin sights where Nathalie hypocritically asserts she is happy not to be chosen saying she will only walk in Paris. The shoot takes place back in LA, however Karlin's visa is rejected forcing her to remain in Berlin while she awaits a new one. Most of the girls impress at the photo shoot, with Ivana, Aminata and Samantha performing best and Betty, Sarah and Nathalie struggling. At judging the girls walk in outfits designed by Wolfgang, where Sarah is once again castigated for regressing in performance and she is sent home. Jolina is advised to show more personality.
- Booked for job: Jolina Fust, Ivana Teklic, Nancy Nagel, Samantha Brock, Anna Wilken & Karlin Obiango
- Eliminated: Sarah Weinfurter
- Bottom two: Betty Taube & Nathalie Volk
- Eliminated: None
- Featured photographer: Enrique Badulescu
Episode 11: Sexy Edition
Original airdate: 17 April 2014
The week starts with a runway training where Ivana, Betty and Aminata are deemed best while Samantha and Anna are the worst. Heidi and Wolfgang Joop try to persuade Jolina to let her hair short cut but Jolina bursts in tears and refuses it. At the casting for Opel Stefanie, Jolina and Betty are the best with Stefanie getting her first job. At the photo shoot Stefanie, Samantha and Anna struggle. These three are also the ones to struggle at the catwalk, where the girls have to walk in Victoria's Secret underwear and wings. While Stefanie reaches the next round because of her job Samantha and Anna land in the bottom two. Though Anna quits the competition Samantha is sent home.
- Booked for job: Stefanie Giesinger
- Bottom two: Anna Wilken & Samantha Brock
- Quit: Anna Wilken
- Eliminated: Samantha Brock
- Featured photographer: Fransesco Carrozini
Episode 12: Girls Edition
Original airdate: 24 April 2014
The girls have a press training where Betty earns herself immunity because of her excellent performance. This week's casting is for Maybelline. Jolina, Ivana, Stefanie and Nathalie are the last four. As later revealed it has been a race head to head between Jolina and Ivana that resulted in Jolinas sixth job. At the photo shoot where the girls have to pose with little children Nancy bursts in tears missing her own son. Ivana, Stefanie and Jolina perform best. Aminata struggles at the catwalk what makes her the original eliminee but she is saved after an asthma resulting. Jolina is also critiqued for her walk. Ivana even starts to debate with Wolfgang, defending Aminata. For the second time in the cycle no girl is eliminated.
- Re-entered: Karlin Obiango
- Booked for job: Jolina Fust
- Challenge winner/Immune from elimination: Betty Taube
- Eliminated: None
- Featured photographer: Christian Anwander & Kristian Schuller
Episode 13: Real World Edition
Original airdate: 1 May 2014
This week's photo shoot is the cover of German Cosmopolitan what is one of the winning prices. At the shoot Betty, Stefanie, Jolina, Ivana and Aminata are deemed best while Nancy and Karlin have problems. When visiting an agency Jolina gets the offer to sign with Elite Model Management. At a casting for New York Fashion Week only Jolina and Ivana reach the second round with Ivana booked for her fourth job what results in Ivana's immunity. At a press conference Stefanie stirs everybody to water when talking about her severe disease. After the catwalk Nancy and Karlin are sent home.
- Offer to sign with an agency: Jolina Fust
- Booked for job: Ivana Teklic
- Immune from elimination: Ivana Teklic
- Eliminated: Nancy Nagel & Karlin Obiango
- Featured photographer: Brian Bowen Smith
Episode 14: Semi-Finals
Original airdate: 4 May 2014
It is the first time there are six girls in the semifinals. At the casting for Gillette Venus Jolina reaches the second round once again as well as Betty and Nathalie. In the end it's Betty to win the casting. At the photo shoot none of the girls struggles, but Ivana's picture is later deemed best. At the last catwalk before the final only Ivana and Jolina are able to fully convince the judges. Jolina is the first girl to reach the final with having been booked for six jobs, but is critiqued for not showing enough personality. After her also Ivana, who has been booked for four jobs is able to reach the final. The third girl to be called out is Aminata who is eliminated as well as Nathalie what leaves Betty and Stefanie who are called out together. In the end Stefanie reaches the final because of her progress and her amazing charm what makes Betty the third eliminee. The three finalist and the 3 eliminated girls travel to the Maldives for a few days.
- Booked for job: Betty Taube
- Eliminated: Aminata Sanogo & Nathalie Volk
- Bottom two: Betty Taube & Stefanie Giesinger
- Eliminated: Betty Taube
- Featured photographer: Kristian Schuller
Episode 15: Live Finale
Original airdate: 8 May 2014
In the final Jolina is deemed to be the best in the photo shoot and Ivana wins the challenge to design an outfit herself and to present it on the runway. The girls also have to choose the staging and the music. Ivana is eliminated first despite being this cycle's catwalk queen, being this cycle's most consistent candidate and winning the design challenge where Wolfgang Joop states Ivana's outfit and walk were definitely the best. Wolfgang also asserts that Ivana was his favorite but Heidi and Thomas voted for the other girls. Betty is chosen to open the Top 20 walk after online voting between the girls who didn't reach the final. In the end Stefanie is chosen as the winner of the competition.
- Top 20 walk opener: Betty Taube
- Final three: Ivana Teklic, Jolina Fust and Stefanie Giesinger
- Eliminated: Ivana Teklic
- Final two: Jolina Fust & Stefanie Giesinger
- Germany's Next Topmodel: Stefanie Giesinger
- Featured photographer: Christian Anwander
(ages stated are at start of contest)
|Lisa Seibert||18||1.78 m (5 ft 10 in)||Wiesbaden||Episode 1||25-24|
|Jill Schmitz||22||1.77 m (5 ft 9 1⁄2 in)||Pétange, Luxembourg|
|Pauline Cottin||18||1.78 m (5 ft 10 in)||Trier||Episode 2||23-20 (quit)|
|Laura Haas||19||1.76 m (5 ft 9 1⁄2 in)||München|
|Ina Bartak||21||1.76 m (5 ft 9 1⁄2 in)||München|
|Fata Hasanovic||18||1.76 m (5 ft 9 1⁄2 in)||Berlin|
|Franziska Wimmer||17||1.84 m (6 ft 1⁄2 in)||Neumarkt-Sankt Veit||19|
|Laura Kristen||18||1.76 m (5 ft 9 1⁄2 in)||Schauenstein||Episode 3||18|
|Emma Kahlert||16||1.76 m (5 ft 9 1⁄2 in)||Heidelberg||Episode 4||17|
|Antonia Balzer||16||1.76 m (5 ft 9 1⁄2 in)||Hoppegarten||Episode 5||16|
|Simona Hartl||17||1.76 m (5 ft 9 1⁄2 in)||Roding||Episode 6||15-14|
|Jana Heinisch||19||1.76 m (5 ft 9 1⁄2 in)||Bremen|
|Sainabou Sosseh||16||1.77 m (5 ft 9 1⁄2 in)||Bremen||Episode 7||13|
|Lisa Gelbrich||17||1.76 m (5 ft 9 1⁄2 in)||Harztor||Episode 8||12|
|Sarah Weinfurter||16||1.76 m (5 ft 9 1⁄2 in)||Kassel||Episode 10||11|
|Anna Wilken||17||1.81 m (5 ft 11 1⁄2 in)||Wittmund||Episode 11||10 (quit)|
|Samantha Brock||17||1.79 m (5 ft 10 1⁄2 in)||Berlin||9|
|Nancy Nagel||21||1.78 m (5 ft 10 in)||Schneeberg||Episode 13||8-7|
|Karlin Obiango||17||1.76 m (5 ft 9 1⁄2 in)||Ludwigshafen|
|Nathalie Volk||16||1.75 m (5 ft 9 in)||Soltau||Episode 14||6-4|
|Betty Taube||18||1.76 m (5 ft 9 1⁄2 in)||Trebbin|
|Aminata Sanogo||18||1.78 m (5 ft 10 in)||Bergisch Gladbach|
|Ivana Teklic||18||1.78 m (5 ft 10 in)||Bad Homburg||Episode 15||3|
|Jolina Fust||16||1.81 m (5 ft 11 1⁄2 in)||Hamburg||2|
|Stefanie Giesinger||17||1.77 m (5 ft 9 1⁄2 in)||Kaiserslautern||1|
- The contestant quit the competition
- The contestant was immune from elimination
- The contestant was in danger of elimination
- The contestant was eliminated
- The contestant won the competition
Photo shoot guide
- Episode 1 photo shoot: B&W beauty shots in a pool
- Episode 2 photo shoot: Flora and fauna with snakes
- Episode 3 photo shoots: Professional comp cards; floating with balloons overlooking a roller coaster
- Episode 4 video shoot: Filming the opening sequence
- Episode 5 photo shoot: Posing in pairs on the beach with a male model
- Episode 6 photo shoots: Portraying both genders in pairs in B&W; posing with tarantulas in glitter body paint
- Episode 7 photo shoot: Hysterical divas in a restaurant
- Episode 8 photo shoots: Amerindian beauty; cowgirl fashion films
- Episode 9 photo shoot: Crying in 1920s fashion
- Episode 10 photo shoot: Jumping from a trampoline in colored gowns
- Episode 11 photo shoot: Hydrant sexy shoot
- Episode 12 photo shoot: Posing with lil' children
- Episode 13 photo shoot: Cosmopolitan covers
- Episode 14 photo shoot: Crashed sailing ship from Mars in couture
- Episode 15 photo shoot: Stage rock stars
An article on Bild.de revealed the final three as being Ivana Teklic, Stefanie Giesinger, and Jolina Fust.
Post Topmodel careers
- Pauline Cottin has signed with ONEeins.
- Fata Hasonivic has signed with ONEeins.
- Laura Kristen has signed with ONEeins.
- Emma Kahlert has signed with ONEeins.
- Antonia Balzer has signed with ONEeins.
- Simona Hartl has signed with ONEeins. She walked at Genf fashion week.
- Jana Heinisch has signed with Louisa Models.
- Sainabou Sosseh has signed with ONEeins.
- Lisa Gelbrich has signed with ONEeins
- Sarah Weinfurter has signed with ONEeins.
- Samantha Brock has been signed with ONEeins. She has walked at Berlin fashion week.
- Anna Wilken has signed with Munich Models. She walked at Berlin fashion week and Paris fashion week.
- Karlin Obiango has signed with ONEeins. She released a single called Wunderkind.
- Nancy Nagel has signed with ONEeins
- Betty Taube has signed a modeling contract with ONEeins. She has walked for Guido Maria Kretschmer at Berlin fashion week. She had a TV-Spot for Chixx. She appeared in the show Topmodel on Tour, and had her own feature called Betty Goes Tokyo in the German tabloid program Taff.
- Nathalie Volk has signed with Modelwerk in Hamburg and has modeled for Swiss lingerie-retailer Vicky Bonheur. She participated in the German version of I'm a Celebrity...Get Me Out of Here!
- Aminata Sanogo has signed with Mega Model in Hamburg. She appeared on the cover of German Stern magazine.
- Ivana Teklic has signed with Pars Management and Women Management. She walked for Dior, Wunderkind, Calvin Klein, Ralph & Russo, Julien Macdonald, Roksanda Ilincic and Roberto Cavalli and other designers at Paris, Milan and London fashion week, became the face of Joffroy make-up and a campaign for Gucci, had a spread in Vogue, Kaltblut, Flanelle, Perk, Factice and Up magazines and modelled for the covers of Quality, Perk and Up magazines thus making her one of the most successful alumni of Germany's Next Top Model.
- Jolina Fust was signed with ONEeins. She is now signed with Munich Models and Next Model Management in London. She has walked at Berlin fashion week.
- Stefanie Giesinger has collected all of her prizes as the winner, including the cover of Cosmopolitan, a TV-commercial for Opel, and a modeling contract with ONEeins. She walked for Wunderkind and at Milan and Berlin fashion week and she walked for Dolce & Gabbana for Milan Fashion Week.
- "Germanys next Topmodel 2014 - Ganze Folgen, Videos und Infos" (in German). Prosieben.de. 24 February 2014. Retrieved 2 March 2014.
- "Germany's next Topmodel 2014 startet am 6. Februar" (in German). Prosieben.de. 13 December 2013. Retrieved 2 March 2014.
- "GNTM 2014: News aus der Topmodel-Show | "Germany's next Topmodel" 2014: News | Mode". Cosmopolitan.de. 22 November 2013. Retrieved 2 March 2014.
- "GNTM 2014: Finalistinnen stehen schon fest!". Bravo.De. 30 October 2013. Archived from the original on 23 February 2014. Retrieved 2 March 2014.
- "GNTM 2014: die Kandidatinnen - Bilder". Jolie.de. Retrieved 2 March 2014.
- Martha Singbartl (22 November 2013). "GNTM 2014: Heidi Klum zeigt ihren Busen - GNTM 2014 – „Germany's Next Topmodel" - Stars". JOY.de. Retrieved 2 March 2014.
- "Online Trailer: Exklusive Infos zu den... - Germany's next Topmodel". Facebook. Retrieved 2 March 2014.
- "GNTM 2014 Finale mit Ivana, Jolina, Stefanie: Das sind die drei Finalistinnen im Germany's Next Topmodel-Finale 2014 | 24.04.2014 | TV | news.de". news.de. Retrieved 7 July 2014.
- Goodbye Modeln? GNTM-Karlin ist jetzt Sängerin. promiflash.de.
- Betty Taube: Ihr Leben nach GNTM 2014 jolie.com
-  Mega Model Agency.
-  Women Management - Development.
- Jolina Fust. NEXT Model Management.