Both countries established diplomatic relations in 1905, after Norway’s independence. During World War II, Norway was occupied by Nazi Germany, lasting from 1940 until 1945. Germany has an embassy in Oslo, and Norway has an embassy in Berlin and two consulates, in Düsseldorf and Hamburg.
To promote the German-Norwegian relations in 1982, the German-Norwegian society and 1988, the German-Norwegian Friendship Society were founded.
- Carl Arnold(1797–1873), composer
- Rolf Nesch (1893–1975), painter
- Gottfried von der Goltz (born 1964), Violinist and conductor
- Peter Dybwad (1859–1921), Architect
- Leopold von Ubisch (1886–1965), zoologist
- Lars Christopher Vilsvik (born 1988), Football Player
German community of Norway
The German School of Oslo serves Germans living in Oslo.
Related groups: Austrian Norwegians.