The Germany–Greece relations are the relations between Germany and Greece. Greece has an embassy in Berlin and eight General Consulates in (Hamburg, Hannover, Cologne, Leipzig, Munich, Düsseldorf, Stuttgart and Frankfurt). Germany has an embassy in Athens and a General Consulate in Thessaloniki.
Germany and Greece are full members of the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe, of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, of NATO, of the European Union, and of the Eurozone.
History of bilateral relations
The first King of independent Greece, Otto I, was of German descent, and many Germans came and settled in the new state. Greece and Prussia established diplomatic relations in 1834, the same year both countries exchanged embassies.
The two countries were enemies during both World Wars, with Germany taking part in the Axis Occupation of Greece during World War II. The issue of reparations for German war crimes and the forced loan during the Occupation continues to be unsettled. There is a 300,000 people Greek community living in Germany, most of them came during the 1960s and 1970s.
The two nations enjoyed excellent relations for 60 years (1950- 2010) with Germans to be the first nation of tourist arrivals in Greece during 1970s, 1980s,1990s, 2000s and the first European destination of Greeks immigrating abroad (mainly 1950s, 1960s). Moreover, Greece supported the German Reunification during 1980s and the two countries cooperated in many sectors (culturally, technologically, army etc.) under the EU spectrum.
German community of Greece
See German Greeks.
Related minorities: Austrian Greeks
- Bilateral cultural agreement, 17 May 1956
- Treaty of residence and shipping, 2 September 1961, which also addresses military conscription matters for persons with dual nationality
- Agreement for the avoidance of double taxation, 18 April 1966
After 1981, most agreements were made through the European Union.
List of recent bilateral visits
- April 2000: visit by President of Germany Johannes Rau
- 22 January 2004: visit by Greek Foreign Minister George Papandreou
- December 3, 2004: visit by Greek Foreign Minister Petros Molyviatis
- 15–16 February 2006: visit by Greek Prime Minister Kostas Karamanlis and Greek Foreign Minister Dora Bakoyannis
- 23 June 2006: visit by Germany Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier
- 18–22 September 2006: visit by President of Greece Karolos Papoulias
- 20 July 2007: visit by Chancellor of Germany Angela Merkel
- German embassy in Athens (in German and Greek only)
- Greek Ministry of Foreign Affairs about the relation with Germany
- Greek embassy in Berlin (in German and Greek only)
- http://www.mfa.gr/www.mfa.gr/en-US/Policy/Geographic+Regions/Europe/Relationships+with+EU+Member+States/Germany/ Greek Ministry of Foreign Affairs about the relation with Germany
- German Patience With Greece on the Euro Wears Thin 8 May 2012.
- http://www.mfa.gr/www.mfa.gr/en-US/Policy/Geographic+Regions/Europe/Relationships+with+EU+Member+States/Germany/Greek Ministry of Foreign Affairs about the relation with Germany