Germany's Next Topmodel (cycle 8)
|Germany's Next Top Model (cycle 8)|
|Country of origin||Germany|
|No. of episodes||14|
28 February– 30 May 2013
|No. of contestants||25|
Germany's Next Topmodel, Cycle 8 is the eighth season of Germany's Next Topmodel, and it airs on the German television network ProSieben. The show began to air on 28 February 2013 under the catch phrase Closer than ever. Due to a decrease in ratings for the show, several changes were done. For the first time the show was produced by RedSeven GmbH, who were also previously producing Austria's Next Topmodel. Fashion photographer Enrique Badulescu joined the panel along with Thomas Hayo, who became the first judge - aside from Klum - since Peyman Amin returned for a third time to the show.
As in the last preceding years, a pre-selection was done, and open castings were not part of the show anymore. The first episode started off with 26 semifinalists of whom however only 25 were introduced to the audience. The show however was off with a disappointing launch as it showed a ratings drop in comparison to the last cycle's premiere. The winner was 16-year-old Lovelyn Enebechi from Hamburg.
Among the prizes were a modeling contract with Günther Klum's OneEins Management, an Opel Adams automobile, a spread and a cover in German Cosmopolitan, and a €250,000 cash prize. The international destinations for this cycle were set in Dubai, Los Angeles, New York City and Honolulu.
- 1 Episode summaries
- 1.1 Episode 1: Dream Come True
- 1.2 Episode 2: Shooting Edition
- 1.3 Episode 3: Beauty Edition
- 1.4 Episode 4: Runway Edition
- 1.5 Episode 5: Film Edition
- 1.6 Episode 6: Sports Edition
- 1.7 Episode 7: New York/Casting Edition
- 1.8 Episode 8: Sexy Edition
- 1.9 Episode 9: Transformation Edition
- 1.10 Episode 10: Action Edition
- 1.11 Episode 11: Hawaii Edition
- 1.12 Episode 12: Music Edition
- 1.13 Episode 13: Semifinale-Evolution Edition
- 1.14 Episode 14: Live finale
- 2 Contestants
- 3 Summaries
- 4 Controversy
- 5 References
Episode 1: Dream Come True
Original airdate: 28 February 2013
The episode began with Heidi visiting the 25 finalists in their hometowns to tell them they have made it onto Germany's Next Topmodel. The girls did a photo shoot in Wiesbaden. 20 girls impressed Heidi and Thomas and made it through to the next round in Dubai. From the five worst-performing girls (Janna, Katharina, Lisa, Lisa-Giulia and Nancy), Katharina was chosen to leave the competition.
- Bottom five: Janna Wiese, Katharina Oltzow, Lisa Quack, Lisa-Giulia Wende & Nancy Limonta
- Eliminated outside of judging panel: Katharina Oltzow
The remaining 24 finalists were flown to Dubai, where they walk in a fashion show for Amato Haute Couture. Anna Maria and Sabrina were deemed the best performers. At elimination, Merle was chosen to move on to the next round, but asked to leave the competition, much to the disappointment of Heidi, Thomas and new judge, photographer Enrique Badulescu. The bottom four girls were Anna, Linda, Lisa and Nancy. Anna was chosen to advance and the other three girls were eliminated.
- Quit: Merle Lambert
- Bottom four: Anna Seebrecht, Linda Niewerth, Lisa Quack & Nancy Limonta
- Eliminated: Linda Niewerth, Lisa Quack & Nancy Limonta
- Featured photographer: Andreas Ortner
Episode 2: Shooting Edition
Original airdate: 7 March 2013
The girls were divided into two groups of ten, with one group modelling couture dresses while suspended from cranes and the other group shooting underwater.
|High-rise||Anna Maria, Bingyang, Carolin, Christine, Höpke, Jacqueline, Lisa-Giulia, Lovelyn, Maike & Sophie|
|Underwater||Anna, Janna, Jessika, Leandra, Leonie, Luise, Marie, Michelle, Sabrina & Veronika|
The bottom two girls for the high-rise shoot were Carolin and Lisa-Giulia. Carolin was saved and Lisa-Giulia was sent home.
- Bottom two: Carolin Sünderhauf & Lisa-Giulia Wende
- Eliminated outside of judging panel: Lisa-Giulia Wende
Luise was announced as the best performer at the underwater shoot. The judges said that all the girls did well, so they were all saved.
- Best photo: Luise Will
- Eliminated outside of judging panel: None
Sophie came out to the other girls as a lesbian, and Anna Maria talked about her difficult childhood in the Philippines, where she lived in a slum. Sabrina received the news that her grandmother had died. At elimination, Michelle was eliminated. Carolin landed in the bottom two for the second time, along with Anna, but both were saved. At the end of the episode, Heidi revealed that the girls would be flown to Los Angeles.
- Eliminated: Michelle Maas
- Bottom two: Carolin Sünderhauf & Anna Barbara Seebrecht
- Eliminated: None
- Featured photographers: Rankin, Russ Kientsch & Enrique Badulescu
Episode 3: Beauty Edition
Original airdate: 14 March 2013
- Quit: Höpke Voß & Bingyang Liu
Makeovers were administered to girls before the photo shoots. For the first shoot, they took photos for a sedcard, and for the second, they were taken to a hospital and posed with male model Rick "Zombie Boy" Genest. At elimination, the bottom two were Leandra and Leonie, and Leandra was eliminated.
- Quit: Höpke Voß & Bingyang Liu
- Bottom two: Leandra Martin & Leonie Marwitz
- Eliminated: Leandra Martin
- Featured photographers: Enrique Badulescu & Robert Erdmann
Episode 4: Runway Edition
Original airdate: 21 March 2013
The episode began with Carolin being told that she had been booked by a designer for Hong Kong Fashion Week.
Booked for casting: Carolin Sünderhauf
This week's topic is Runway. The girls exercise for the runway walk. At the training for sexy walk Lovelyn and Leonie are deemed best while Luise, Sophie and Anna Maria perform best at the Prêt-à-porter training. The photo shoot is a face shot. The girls walk as geishas in a Haute-couture-walk Sophie was deemed to have the best walk and photo, but quit due to missing her girlfriend and other personal reasons. She was allowed to keep her photo. Anna, Janna, Christine and Maike were deemed to be the weakest, and Anna was eliminated.
- Absent from judging panel/immune: Carolin Sünderhauf
- Quit: Sophie Jais
- Bottom four: Anna Seebrecht, Christine Grischler, Janna Wiese & Maike van Grieken
- Eliminated: Anna Seebrecht
- Guest judges: Irina Shayk, Jessica Stam, Chanel Iman
Episode 5: Film Edition
Original airdate: 28 March 2013
The remaining girls do a group video with different briefs. At elimination, Sabrina was criticized for having a bad attitude in front of the make up artist. Veronika is told she has also great potential to become an actor because of her fantastic performance. Christine, Janna, Jessika, Lovelyn and Sabrina landed in the bottom five and Jessika is eliminated.
- Bottom five: Christine Grischler, Janna Wiese, Jessika Weidner, Lovelyn Enebechi & Sabrina Elsner
- Eliminated: Jessika Weidner
- Featured director: Jonas Åkerlund
- Guest judge: Thomas Rath
Episode 6: Sports Edition
Original airdate: 4 April 2013
The girls wake up early to do sport with a rugby team. They later dance as cheerleader at a basketball game. The photo shoot was about boxing where Christine and Janna perform worst, while Maike is deemed best. At the casting for an editorial in German Gala Sabrina, Marie and Carolin are booked. Janna is eliminated for her bad photo shoot and a fauxpas on the runway. Jacqueline is also heavily criticized and warned to perform better next week. The remaining 11 girls go to New York City.
- Booked for casting: Carolin Sünderhauf, Marie Czuczman and Sabrina Elsner
- Eliminated: Janna Wiese
- Featured photographers: Enrique Badulescu & Tim Petersen
Episode 7: New York/Casting Edition
Original airdate: 11 April 2013
In New York, the girls do a photo shoot on a bus. Maike and Lovelyn were deemed best; they were allowed to go on the gala. Maike had a few issues with the dress which didn't matter Heidi. Later, Maike kept complaining about the dress. Then, the girls head to go-sees. Marie and Anna Maria both walk in two shows, Lovelyn, Maike, Luise and Carolin are booked for one show. Luise and Marie walk for a famous designer. Luise also gets certified a million dollar face. Last year's winner Luisa is also seen walking in one of the shows the girls walk in. At panel, Veronika and Jacqueline were the weakest in their shots. Jacqueline's walk is worse than Veronika's but Veronika seems not to be motivated enough which caused her to be the next girl sent home what annoys some of the other girls who are angry because Jacqueline isn't the one to be eliminated although the judges told her the week before she would be if she didn't improve. The girls started to question Heidi's objectivity, because Heidi seems to like Jacqueline more than the other girls.
- Booked for castings: Anna Maria Damm, Carolin Sünderhauf, Lovelyn Enebechi, Luise Will, Maike van Grieken & Marie Czuczman
- Bottom two: Jacqueline Thießen & Veronika Weddeling
- Eliminated: Veronika Weddeling
- Featured photographer: Matt McCabe
Episode 8: Sexy Edition
- Original airdate: 18 April 2013
The girls do a sexy photo shoot in lingerie. Lovelyn is deemed best again. When Heidi goes shopping with Jacqueline because of her bad outfits, the other girls felt treated unfair. At a casting for German Cosmopolitan Maike, Marie, Leonie, Anna Maria and Carolin reach the second round with Maike, Carolin and Anna Maria booked. At panel, Alessandra Ambrosio was a guest judge. The decision came to Leonie and Jacqueline, once again. The episode ended with a cliffhanger.
- Booked for casting: Anna Maria Damm, Carolin Sünderhauf & Maike van Grieken
- Bottom three: Carolin Sünderhauf, Jacqueline Thießen & Leonie Marwitz
- Featured photographer: Ben Watts
- Guest judge: Alessandra Ambrosio
Episode 9: Transformation Edition
Original airdate: 25 April 2013
The episode starts with continuing the cliffhanger; Jacqueline was revealed to be sent home. The week starts with a casting for German Joy. While Luise, Marie and Sabrina reached the second round Carolin was the only one to struggle. In the end Marie is booked for her fourth job. The brief was transformation. Luise, Lovelyn, Marie, Maike, Anna Maria and Sabrina got great feedback with their photos, while Carolin, Christine and Leonie struggled. At the casting for Opel Lovelyn, Anna Maria and Luise performed best what leads to Lovelyn's second job. At panel Maike states that she didn't mean to offend them and that it wasn't meant racist and that she just didn't think about what she said. Leonie is sent home for her weak performance at both; photo shoot and runway. Christine and Carolin are also heavily criticized.
- Eliminated: Jacqueline Thießen
- Booked for castings: Lovelyn Enebechi & Marie Czuczman
- Eliminated: Leonie Marwitz
- Featured director: Tim Löhr
- Featured photographers: Bob Landers & Kristian Schuller
Episode 10: Action Edition
Original airdate: 2 May 2013
The girls do an action shoot in water. Luise is deemed best and wins the price to go shopping with Lena Gercke, winner of cycle one while Carolin is the weakest. At the second photo shoot Carolin struggles again while Christine surprises the judges. At panel, Carolin and Marie were deemed weakest. Carolin was sent home because the judges felt she was falling back. The remaining girls go to Hawaii.
- Bottom two: Carolin Sünderhauf & Marie Czuczman
- Eliminated: Carolin Sünderhauf
- Featured photographers: Derek Kettela & Oliver S.
- Guest judge: Erin Heatherton
Episode 11: Hawaii Edition
Original airdate: 9 May 2013
The girls arrive at Hawaii, where they went camping with Heidi. They had different photo shoots with different briefs. Luise and Sabrina had fully nude shoots. At this week's casting Anna Maria is booked for Surfers Magazine cover and editorial while Luise struggled. At panel (which was removed at the beach) Christine was heavily criticized; she was eliminated because the judges had given her too many chances and she was the only one of the girls who didn't get a single job.
- Booked for casting: Anna Maria Damm
- Eliminated: Christine Gischler
- Featured photographer: Enrique Badulescu
Episode 12: Music Edition
Original airdate: 16 May 2013
The brief was to embody music stars, like Elvis Presley, Madonna etc. Maike was deemed the weakest while Anna Maria and Sabrina are the best. At the casting for Maybelline Luise, Anna Maria and Maike reach the second round. Luise wins the job while Anna Maria gets told she was second in the casting. While Luise shoots the campaign the other girls go to a casting for a music video of the song "Whithout you" from Blue (English band). Anna Maria is booked for the main role. With Sabrina, Maike and Marie booked for supporting roles Lovelyn is the only one without a job this week what makes her burst in tears. At panel Marie and Maike land in the bottom two. Although Marie had a better week, Maike had a better past performance. Marie placed sixth.
- Booked for casting: Luise Will
- Bottom two: Maike van Grieken & Marie Czuczman
- Eliminated: Marie Czuczman
- Featured photographers: Brian Bowen Smith & Kristian Schuller
Episode 13: Semifinale-Evolution Edition
Original airdate: 23 May 2013
At the casting for Gillette Luise, Lovelyn and Maike reach the second round. Luise wins the casting and Lovelyn is disappointed for only placing second. Anna Maria struggles at this week's photo shoot for Cosmopolitan cover. At panel the girls have to walk in Prêt-à-porter, Sexy and Haute couture outfits. Luise is the first girl to reach the final. Anna Maria is eliminated before Lovelyn also reaches the final. Maike and Sabrina land in bottom two for struggling on the runway. Surprisingly both reach the final.
- Booked for casting: Luise Will
- Eliminated: Anna Maria Damm
- Bottom two: Maike van Grieken & Sabrina Elsner
- Eliminated: None
- Featured director: Katja Brauer-Baratin
- Featured photographer: Warwick Saint
Episode 14: Live finale
Original airdate: 30 May 2013
The final starts with the girls walking as Superwomen. After that they have to pose with different objects and Robin Thicke. The girls third challenge is to walk as the four elements with High fashion dresses and poses. Maike embodies fire, Sabrina is water and Luise is earth what leaves air to Lovelyn. After the walk Sabrina is eliminated. The remaining girls do a photo shoot on stilts where Maike is deemed best. Afterwards they have to walk in futuristic outfits. Surprisingly Luise is second eliminated what only leaves Maike and Lovelyn. Anna Maria is chosen to open the Top-20-walk after online voting between the girls who didn't reach the final. The final two have a second photo shoot where they have to dance. Lovelyn impresses once again. In the end, Lovelyn becomes Germany's Next Topmodel.
- Final four: Lovelyn Enebechi, Luise Will, Maike van Grieken & Sabrina Elsner
- Eliminated: Sabrina Elsner
- Final three: Lovelyn Enebechi, Luise Will & Maike van Grieken
- Eliminated: Luise Will
- Top 20 walk opener: Anna Maria Damm
- Final two: Lovelyn Enebechi & Maike van Grieken
- Germany's Next Topmodel: Lovelyn Enebechi
- Special Guests: Psy, Robin Thicke, Bruno Mars
- Featured photographer: Enrique Badulescu
(ages stated are at start of contest)
|Katharina Oltzow||16||1.84 m (6 ft 1⁄2 in)||Bad Arolsen||Episode 1||25|
|Merle Lambert||16||1.76 m (5 ft 9 1⁄2 in)||Goch||24 (quit)|
|Nancy Limonta||22||1.78 m (5 ft 10 in)||Dresden||23-21|
|Lisa Quack||17||1.76 m (5 ft 9 1⁄2 in)||Schüttorf|
|Linda Niewerth||17||1.80 m (5 ft 11 in)||Reken|
|Lisa-Giulia Wende||17||1.76 m (5 ft 9 1⁄2 in)||Hamburg||Episode 2||20|
|Michelle Maas||16||1.80 m (5 ft 11 in)||Tholey||19|
|Höpke Voss||19||1.76 m (5 ft 9 1⁄2 in)||Altenholz||Episode 3||18-17 (quit)|
|Bingyang Liu||18||1.80 m (5 ft 11 in)||Cologne|
|Leandra Martin||18||1.82 m (5 ft 11 1⁄2 in)||Würzburg||16|
|Sophie Jais||23||1.78 m (5 ft 10 in)||Farchant||Episode 4||15 (quit)|
|Anna Seebrecht||16||1.76 m (5 ft 9 1⁄2 in)||Prien am Chiemsee||Episode 5||14|
|Jessika Weidner||16||1.78 m (5 ft 10 in)||Au am Rhein||Episode 6||13|
|Janna Wiese||19||1.76 m (5 ft 9 1⁄2 in)||Schortens||Episode 7||12|
|Veronika Weddeling||22||1.79 m (5 ft 10 1⁄2 in)||Borken||Episode 8||11|
|Jacqueline Thießen||16||1.76 m (5 ft 9 1⁄2 in)||Hamburg||Episode 9||10|
|Leonie Marwitz||16||1.76 m (5 ft 9 1⁄2 in)||Prien am Chiemsee||9|
|Carolin Sünderhauf||20||1.78 m (5 ft 10 in)||Munich||Episode 10||8|
|Christine Gischler||16||1.79 m (5 ft 10 1⁄2 in)||Essen||Episode 11||7|
|Marie Czuczman||16||1.83 m (6 ft 0 in)||Lüdenscheid||Episode 12||6|
|Anna Maria Damm||16||1.76 m (5 ft 9 1⁄2 in)||Neuenbürg||Episode 13||5|
|Sabrina Elsner||20||1.77 m (5 ft 9 1⁄2 in)||Gägelow||Episode 14||4|
|Luise Will||18||1.83 m (6 ft 0 in)||Rostock||3|
|Maike van Grieken||19||1.76 m (5 ft 9 1⁄2 in)||Cologne||2|
|Lovelyn Enebechi||16||1.78 m (5 ft 10 in)||Hamburg||1|
- The contestant won best photo
- The contestant quit the competition
- The contestant was immune from elimination
- The contestant was in danger of elimination
- The contestant was eliminated
- The contestant won the competition
Photo shoot guide
- Episode 1 photo shoot: Haute couture in Wiesbaden
- Episode 2 photo shoots: Posing underwater; harnessed to a Crane in couture gowns; desert beauty shots
- Episode 3 photo shoots: Professional comp cards; taken by Zombie Boy to the underworld
- Episode 4 photo shoot: 'Flower power' beauty shots
- Episode 5 photo shoot: Model mug shots
- Episode 6 photo shoot: Boxing in pairs
- Episode 7 photo shoot: New York City sight-seeing
- Episode 8 photo shoot: Rodeo Drive street walkers
- Episode 9 photo shoot: Mystical fairies in the woods
- Episode 10 photo shoot: Rooftop spies
- Episode 11 photo shoot: Editorials in Hawaii
- Episode 12 photo shoot: Famous musicians
- Episode 13 photo shoot: Cosmopolitan covers
Episode 8 ended with a cliffhanger, but the fate of the bottom two was "accidentally" revealed on the official website of ProSieben two days before the broadcasting of episode 9. Another faux pas happened during Episode 9. The remaining girls competed for an Opel commercial but before the winner of that was revealed, the spot has already been shown on television. In Episode 13, the 'top 3' for the live finale were going to be selected, but before the episode aired, it was revealed online and in badly edited episode promos that four girls actually made it through, and Anna Maria was eliminated. As a result, the cycle has come under heavy criticism from many viewers due to the mishaps in editing, fan favorites being eliminated, and the season's ardent focus on quarrels amongst its contestants. During the live finale, topless FEMEN activists led by Zana Ramadani stormed the stage calling the show "Heidi's Horror Picture Show".
- "Germany’s next Topmodel: Alle Infos und Neuigkeiten zur 8. Staffel - Wer kommt ins Finale? - München". myheimat.de. Retrieved 7 June 2013.
- ""Germany's Next Topmodel" startet mit Verlusten –". Quotenmeter.de. Retrieved 7 June 2013.
- "PSY - GENTLEMAN @ GNTM 2013 Finale". YouTube. 2 June 2013. Retrieved 7 June 2013.
- This shoot was not featured in the episode at all. Instead, the girls had three different runway challenges on which the judging was based on. However, when the girls were called out they received these photos that were released on the programmes website after.
- "GNTM 8 Spoiler Discussion Thread - Page 54". Rtvgames.com. Retrieved 7 June 2013.
- "GNTM - Peinliche Panne bei Topmodels: Werbung verrät Siegerin - Aus aller Welt - Hamburger Abendblatt". Abendblatt.de. Retrieved 7 June 2013.
- "gntm-finale - Kostenlose hochqualitative Videospeicherung - Upload and share your videos". Vidup.de. Retrieved 7 June 2013.
- "GNTM 8 Spoiler Discussion Thread - Page 68". Rtvgames.com. 22 May 2013. Retrieved 7 June 2013.
- 3 May 2013. "Bei GNTM sind die Models vor allem im Rumzicken sehr gut". Entertainment.excite.de. Retrieved 7 June 2013.
- ""GNTM"- Sabrina: Vom Landei zur fiesen Lästerschwester | Promipool". Promipool.de. 3 May 2013. Archived from the original on 7 May 2013. Retrieved 7 June 2013.
- "Germany's next Topmodel: GNTM: Heidis Topmodels nur beim Zicken schon ganz groß - Star-News - FOCUS Online - Nachrichten". Focus.de. 7 June 2013. Retrieved 7 June 2013. C1 control character in
|title=at position 26 (help)
- "Zickenkrieg bringt Topmodels Jahresbestwert –". Quotenmeter.de. 17 May 2013. Retrieved 7 June 2013.
- Fotostrecke (30 May 2013). "Femen-Aktivistinnen protestieren bei GNTM - SPIEGEL ONLINE - Kultur". Spiegel.de. Retrieved 7 June 2013.