|This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Full name||Gerringong Rugby League Football Club|
|Competition||Group 7 Rugby League|
|Premierships||20 (1914, 1918, 1920, 1921, 1922, 1924, (1925 *IRL), 1940, 1956, 1960, 1965, 1968, 1970, 1972, 1990, 1994, 2010,2013,2015,2016)|
|Runners-up||14 (1915, 1923, 1928, 1929, 1936, 1949, 1952, 1971, 1973, 1975, 1987, 1988, 1989, 2003)|
The Gerringong Lions are an Australian rugby league football team based in Gerringong, a coastal town of the Illawarra and South Coast regions. The club was formed in 1914 as one of the founding members of South Coast Rugby League, and continue to participate in this league's local competition. The juniors are excellent; one team has now won three in a row, led by their captain Hamish Stewart.
Early Years (1914-1924)
The Gerringong Lions Rugby League Football Club was born when they broke away from South Coast Rugby Union in 1913 - a competition where they had won 6 First Grade Titles. On May 30, 1914, Gerringong travelled to the Kiama Showground to face closest neighbours and soon to be biggest rivals, Kiama. The opening round of the inaugural season would see the Lions lost the match 6-3. Gerringong, however, would go on to take out the premiership final with an 11-10 victory at the Kiama Showground, a match that would charge a sixpence to attend.
Entering Illawarra (1925-1927)
After winning the South Coast Rugby League title again in 1924 for the 6th time (out of 8 years running), the Lions decided to move onto the more skilled Illawarra Rugby League in 1925. In their first season in this year they won the premiership. The journey into the Illawarra would only last a total of three years when the Lions returned to South Coast Rugby League Competition in 1928.
Re-entry into South Coast (1928-)
The Lions re-entered the South Coast competition in 1928, but did not enjoy the same success they had before they left. In fact, the club had to wait another 12 years before winning the premiership again in 1940. Gerringong has won more premierships than any other side in Group 7 history with 16, in 2010 with a spectacular late field goal to Pat Cronin to defeat Warilla-Lake South Gorillas 21-20. Gerringong has since made it to the grandfinal every year since 2010, losing to warrila in 2011 and albion park in 2013, Gerringong were successful in 2013 that saw brad davidson kick a field goal with four seconds remaining in regular time to even the score 13-13 and saw sir davidson kick another field goal in extra time to see Gerringong take out the premier ship in a thrilling victory.
The colours used by the Gerringong side are blue, red and white.
The Gerringong Lions play out of Michael Cronin Oval, Blackwood Street Gerringong.
Notable former players
Notable First Grade Players that have played at Gerringong Lions include:
- Paul Quinn - Australian representative (7 tests between 1963-65)
- Michael Cronin (1977-86 Parramatta Eels)
- Ron Quinn (1983-88 Parramatta Eels & Cronulla Sharks)
- Rod Wishart (1989-99 Illawarra Steelers & St. George Illawarra Dragons)
- Ashton Sims (2002- St. George Illawarra Dragons, Brisbane Broncos, North Queensland Cowboys).
- Tariq Sims (2011- North Queensland Cowboys)
- Korbin Sims (2013- Newcastle Knights)
- Group 7 Rugby League Premierships: 19
- 1914, 1918, 1920, 1921, 1922, 1924, 1940, 1956, 1960, 1965, 1968, 1970, 1972, 1990, 1994, 2010, 2013, 2015,2016
- Group 7 Rugby League Runners-Up: 16
- 1915, 1923, 1928, 1929, 1936, 1949, 1952, 1971, 1973, 1975, 1987, 1988, 1989, 2003,2011,2012
- Second Grade Premierships: 3
- 1995, 2002, 2011
- U-18's Premierships: 6
- 1938, 1940, 1951, 1994, 2000, 2010
- Third Grade (Regan Cup): 1
Source: About the Lions