Gerrit Y. Lansing
|Gerrit Y. Lansing|
|Chancellor of the University of the State of New York|
|Preceded by||Peter Wendell|
|Succeeded by||John V. L. Pruyn|
|Member of the U.S. House of Representatives from New York's 10th district|
|Preceded by||Ambrose Spencer|
|Succeeded by||Albert Gallup|
|Born||Gerrit Yates Lansing
August 4, 1783
Albany, Province of New York
|Died||January 3, 1862
Albany, New York
|Resting place||Albany Rural Cemetery|
|Spouse(s)||Helen Ten Eyck
(m. 1808; her death 1838)
|Parents||Abraham G. Lansing
|Relatives||John Lansing, Jr. (uncle)
Abraham Yates (grandfather)
|Alma mater||Union College|
Lansing was born in Albany, New York on August 4, 1783. He was third of sixteen children born to Susanna Yates (1762–1840) and Abraham Gerrit Lansing (1756–1844), the New York State Treasurer. His young sister, Susan Yates Lansing (1804–1874), was the second wife of Peter Gansevoort (1788–1876), son of Gen. Peter Gansevoort, in 1843.
He was elected as a Jacksonian to the Twenty-second, Twenty-third, and Twenty-fourth Congresses (March 4, 1831 – March 3, 1837). He was not a candidate for reelection in 1836, and returned to practicing law.
Lansing served as president of the Albany Savings Bank from 1854 until his death, and president of the Albany Insurance Company from 1859 until his death.
- Charles Bridgen Lansing (1809–1890), who married Catherine Clinton Townsend, daughter of Albany Mayor John Townsend and Abby (née Spencer) Townsend (daughter of Ambrose Spencer). After her death, he married her sister, Abby Townsend.
- Jane Ann Lansing (1811–1886), who married Robert Hewson Pruyn (1815–1882), the U.S. Minister to Japan, in 1841.
- Susan Yates Lansing (1816–1911), who died unmarried.
- Abraham Gerrit Lansing (d. 1824), who died unmarried.
- "LANSING, Gerrit Yates - Biographical Information". bioguide.congress.gov. Biographical Directory of the United States Congress. Retrieved 14 August 2017.
- "Gansevoort-Lansing collection, 1650-1919, bulk (1800-1899)" (PDF). nypl.org. New York Public Library. 2007. Retrieved 14 August 2017.
- "OBITUARY.; MR. JAMES F. PENNIMAN. PETER GANSEVOORT. OBITUARY NOTE" (PDF). The New York Times. January 8, 1876. Retrieved 8 April 2017.
- Bielinski, Stefan. "Gerrit Yates Lansing". exhibitions.nysm.nysed.gov. New York State Museum. Retrieved 14 August 2017.
- Sullivan, Robert G.; Reynolds, Cuyler. "Hudson-Mohawk Genealogical and Family Memoirs. Vol. I". www.schenectadyhistory.org. Hudson-Mohawk Genealogical and Family Memoirs. pp. 74–76. Retrieved 14 August 2017.
- "GERRIT W. LANSING". The New York Times. 4 January 1862. Retrieved 14 August 2017.
- Spencer, Thomas E. (1998). Where They're Buried: A Directory Containing More Than Twenty Thousand Names of Notable Persons Buried in American Cemeteries, with Listings of Many Prominent People who Were Cremated. Genealogical Publishing Company. p. 244. ISBN 9780806348230. Retrieved 14 August 2017.
- United States Congress. "Gerrit Y. Lansing (id: L000086)". Biographical Directory of the United States Congress.
|U.S. House of Representatives|
|Member of the U.S. House of Representatives
from New York's 10th congressional district
|Chancellor of the
University of the State of New York
John V. L. Pruyn