|Full name||Gert Josef Arthur Engels|
|Date of birth||April 26, 1957|
|Place of birth||Düren, West Germany|
|1999||JEF United Ichihara|
|2000–2003||Kyoto Purple Sanga|
He commenced his professional playing career with lowly SG Düren 99 and later joined Borussia Mönchengladbach and FC Niederau. In Mönchengladbach he was part of the team that won the German Championships of 1976 and 1977, but Engels was not used in any league matches.
In 1990, he moved to Japan to work as a coach. His first stop was in Ibaraki with Prima Aseno FC, the club that later became Mito HollyHock. He also coached at Takigawa Dai Ni High School in Kobe before he joined the Yokohama Flügels as a member of the coaching staff in 1993.
Shortly before the Flugels folded and were partly absorbed into today's Yokohama F. Marinos - some of the players joined Yokohama Marinos, and the F was added in remembrance of Flugels - he was made manager there for a brief period. He held that position also briefly with JEF United Chiba before taking over the reins at Kyoto Purple Sanga.
In Kyoto he returned the club, that was relegated after the previous season, into the J1 League and even led it to a win in the Japanese cup competition, the Emperor's Cup in 2002, defeating the fancied Kashima Antlers 2-1 in extra time. After three years there he was fired when the club started poorly into the new season.
At the start of 2004 he was assistant coach with Urawa Red Diamonds, initially under head coach Guido Buchwald and later Holger Osieck, winning the AFC Champions League in 2007. When Osieck was sacked after only two matches of the new J.League season on March 16, 2008, Engels was appointed his successor. He was fired by Urawa Reds on 26 November 2008.
|JEF United Ichihara||1999||1999||15||4||2||9||26.67|
|Kyoto Purple Sanga||2000||2003||99||53||7||39||53.54|
- Emperor's Cup Winner - 1998, 2002
- "Football Commentary: Gert Engels - Manager for Hire". soccerphile. Retrieved 8 April 2010.
- "Reds to dismiss German manager Engels". Associated Press. 27 November 2008. Retrieved 8 April 2010.
- "ゲルト・エンゲルス コーチ、監督就任について [ 浦和 ] （08.03.16） Coach Gert Engels, director for the office [Urawa]". jsgoal.jp (in Japanese). 16 March 2008. Retrieved 8 April 2010.
- "Gert Engeles novo seleccionador dos Mambas" (in Portuguese). fmf.co.mz. 6 October 2011. Archived from the original on 11 October 2011. Retrieved 10 October 2011.
- J.League Data Site(Japanese)