Gert Fredriksson at the 1960 Olympics
|Born||21 November 1919|
|Died||5 July 2006 (aged 86)|
|Height||1.76 m (5 ft 9 in)|
|Weight||72 kg (159 lb)|
Gert Fridolf Fredriksson (21 November 1919 – 5 July 2006) was a Swedish sprint canoeist. Competing in four Summer Olympics, he won eight medals including six golds (1948: K-1 1000 m, K-1 10000 m; 1952: K-1 1000 m, 1956: K-1 1000 m, K-1 10000 m; 1960: K-2 1000 m), one silver (1952: K-1 10000 m), and one bronze (K-1 1000 m). At the 1964 Summer Olympics in Tokyo, Fredriksson was head coach of the Swedish team.
He was the most successful male canoeist ever, having gained medals in a succession of Swedish, Nordic, World and Olympic championships from 1942 to 1960. With six gold medals Fredriksson remains the most successful Swede at the Olympics.
Fredriksson was awarded the Svenska Dagbladet Gold Medal in 1949. In 1956 he was awarded the Mohammad Taher trophy by the International Olympic Committee as the number one sportsman in the world, the only canoeist to be presented with this trophy.
|1946–1955||K-1 500 m||2|
|K-1 1000 m||5|
|K-1 10000 m||5|
|K-1 4×500 m relay||5|
|1942–1960||K-1 500 m||1||1|
|K-1 1000 m||16||1||1|
|K-1 10000 m||15||1|
- Swedish canoeist Gert Fredriksson, 6-time Olympic gold medallist, dies at 86. slam.canoe.ca. 6 July 2006
- Gert Fredriksson Archived 6 October 2014 at the Wayback Machine. sports-reference.com
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Gert Fredriksson.|
- ICF medalists for Olympic and World Championships – Part 1: flatwater (now sprint): 1936–2007 at the Wayback Machine (archived 2010-01-05). Additional archives: Wayback Machine.
- ICF medalists for Olympic and World Championships – Part 2: rest of flatwater (now sprint) and remaining canoeing disciplines: 1936–2007 at WebCite (archived 2009-11-09)
- International Olympic Committee biography
- Slam sports "Swedish canoeist Gert Fredriksson, 6-time Olympic gold medallist, dies at 86" July 6 2006 at Archive.today (archived 23 June 2007)
- Wallechinsky, David and Jaime Loucky (2008). "Canoeing: Kayak Pairs 1000 Meters". In The Complete Book of the Olympics: 2008 Edition. London: Aurum Press Limited. p. 475.
| Svenska Dagbladet Gold Medal