Gertrud Bäumer (12 September 1873, Hagen-Hohenlimburg, Westphalia – 25 March 1954, Bethel) was a German politician who actively participated in the German civil rights feminist movement. She was also a writer, and contributed to Friedrich Naumann's paper Die Hilfe. From 1898, Bäumer lived and worked together with the German feminist and politician Helene Lange.
Bäumer was a member in close contact with the board of the national umbrella group of German women's organizations, the Bund Deutscher Frauenvereine (Federation of German Women's Associations), and during World War I supported the Nationaler Frauendienst (National Women's Service). As such, Bäumer was aggressively opposed to the feminist-pacifist women supporting internationalism in Germany and elsewhere; stating: "We mustn't ever forget that it is not just military training that is being put to the test out there in the trenches and at sea, at the gun emplacements and in the air, but also German mothers' upbringing and German wives' care." After the war she joined the German Democratic Party, for which she was a Reichstag member between 1919 and 1932.
- "Helene Lange 1848-1930; Frauenrechtlerin, Politikerin (in English: Helene Lange 1848-1930; Women's Rights Activist, Politician)". Lebendiges Museum Online. Deutsches Historisches Museum, Berlin. Retrieved 24 June 2015.
- G. Bäumer (1914) 'Der Krieg und die Frau', in E. Jäckh (ed.) Der deutsche Krieg: Politische Flugschriften (Stuttgart: Deutsche Verlagsanstalt), p. 11.
- Schaser, Angelika (2000). Helene Lange und Gertrud Bäumer: eine politische Lebensgemeinschaft [Helene Lange and Gertrud Bäumer: a political cohabitation] (in German). Köln Weimar: Böhlau Verlag. ISBN 9783412091002.
- Repp, K. (2000). "More Corporeal, More Concrete": Liberal Humanism, Eugenics, and German Progressives at the Last Fin de Siècle*". The Journal of Modern History. 72 (3): 683–730. doi:10.1086/316045.
- Repp, Kevin (2000). Reformers, Critics, and the Paths of German Modernity. Cambridge: Harvard University Press. ISBN 0-674-00057-9.
- (in German) Biographie: Gertrud Bäumer, 1873-1954 at the Deutsches Historisches Museum
- Online Biography of Gertrud Bäumer (in German)
|This biography article about a member of the Christian Social Union in Bavaria (CSU) is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|