Gertrude Street, Melbourne
Gertrude Street is a street in the inner northern suburb of Fitzroy, Melbourne. Cafes, bars, eateries, boutiques, antiques shops, bookshops, many social services and a few art galleries (including Gertrude Contemporary Art Spaces) are located along the street, which runs along an east-west alignment from Nicholson Street opposite the Royal Exhibition Building in the Carlton Gardens to Smith Street. The street continues east of Smith Street, under the name of Langridge Street, where it terminates at Nicholson Street, Abbotsford.
Landmarks on Gertrude Street include:
- The Champion Hotel on the corner of Gertrude and Brunswick Street.
- The Builder's Arms Hotel, a pub (c.1850s), is located on the corner Gertrude Street and Gore Street.
- The MMTB building on the corner of Gertrude and Nicholson Street.
- The Rob Roy Hotel on the corner of Gertrude and Brunswick Street.
- The Australian Print Workshop, opposite the Builders Arms Hotel. Operating out of its present location since the late 1980s.
- Coslovich, Gabriella (2010-03-12). "Part of our arts heritage lives to print another day". The Age. p. 19. Retrieved 2010-04-20.