||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (May 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Born||Gervasio Gallardo Villasenor
Gervasio Gallardo (born 1934) was born in Barcelona, Spain. He is known as a prolific producer of surreal paintings and book covers, for many science-fiction and fantasy authors.
Gervasio Gallardo studied in Spain, working for several Spanish advertising agencies, before moving to Munich, Germany in 1959. The next four years he spent working for the Delpire Agency in Paris, before travelling to the United States in 1963. It was here that he met Frank and Jeff Lavaty, who represent his work to this day.
In 1969, he was commissioned by Ballantine Books to create cover art for their Ballantine Adult Fantasy series. He went on to be the most prolific of their cover artists, creating a total of twenty-nine. Since then, he has created at least eighteen covers for other authors, including producing all of the artwork for his own release: The Fantastic World of Gervasio Gallardo.
Eventually Gallardo returned to Barcelona to set up a studio. He has won numerous awards within Europe and the United States, and has exhibited his work in Paris, Barcelona, and the United States.
Gallardo's work has graced the covers of many notable authors, including:
- Peter S. Beagle
- George MacDonald
- Hope Mirrlees
- H. P. Lovecraft
- Hannes Bok
- G. K. Chesterton
- Lin Carter
- Edmund Cooper & Roger Lancelyn Green
- F. Marion Crawford
- Lord Dunsany
- Clark Ashton Smith
- Sanders Anne Laubenthal
- H. Warner Munn
- William Morris
- Ballantine Adult Fantasy Series at Nightfall Books - Supernatural, Horror, and Fantasy Fiction Prismatrix, Inc.
- Gervasio Gallardo - Biography, vital info and auction records for Gervasio Gallardo AskART
- Ballantine Adult Fantasy skwishmi.com
- Is It Too Early for Some Grand Marnier? Mark D. Ruffner, November 5, 2010.
- Gervasio Gallardo: Painting Wendy Campbell, April 16, 2010 cites The Fantastic World of Gervasio Gallardo Gervasio Gallardo, Bantam, Paperback. ISBN 978-0-553-01037-4.