|Frazioni||Piano della Croce, Torre dei Monaci|
|• Mayor||Edgardo Pesiri|
|• Total||27.34 km2 (10.56 sq mi)|
|Elevation||640 m (2,100 ft)|
|• Density||130/km2 (330/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|Patron saint||St. Nicholas|
|Saint day||December 6th|
Gesualdo is an Italian town in the region of Campania, province of Avellino. It is called "The city of the Prince of Musicians", in honour of Carlo Gesualdo. It has many palaces, fountains, belvederes, and a historical center, which was partially restored after the Irpinia earthquake in 1980.
The town is located in the center of Irpinia, between the valleys of the rivers Fredane and Ufita. It is about 90 kilometres (56 mi) from Naples and 290 kilometres (180 mi) from Rome. Surrounding municipalities are Fontanarosa, Frigento, Grottaminarda, Paternopoli, Villamaina.
- Castle of Gesualdo, founded by Lombards in the 7th century, enlarged in the 15th. It was transformed by Carlo Gesualdo in the 16th and by the Cacceses in the 19th.
- Chiesa Madre di San Nicola (Saint Nicholas Mother Church, 12th century)
- Chiesa del Santissimo Sacramento (Blessed Sacrament Church) (Great Chapel).
- Chiesa del Santissimo Rosario (Most Holy Rosary Church, 17th century)
- Chiesa di Maria Santissima Addolorata (Our Lady of Sorrows Church, 17th century)
- Capuchin convent of Santa Maria delle Grazie, founded in the 16th century and enlarged in the 17th
- Church of Santa Maria della Pietà (17th century)
Events in the village include:
- Carnevale Gesualdino (Gesualdo Carnival), a parade of paperboard wagons and masked groups, held in the Carnival period
- Volo dell'Angelo (Flight of the Angel), the secular tradition that sees a child, dressed as an angel, tied to a rope, acrossing a square at a height of more than 20 metres (66 ft); last Sunday of August.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Gesualdo.|
- Official webseite
- Gesualdo e Carlo Gesualdo *A living document in the interior Campania, Italy: the Castle of Gesualdo
- "Superficie di Comuni Province e Regioni italiane al 9 ottobre 2011". Istat. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- "Popolazione Residente al 1° Gennaio 2018". Istat. Retrieved 16 March 2019.