Get Happy (song)
|Song by Ruth Etting|
In pop culture
Influenced by the Get Happy tradition, it is most associated with Judy Garland, who performed it in her last MGM film Summer Stock (1950) and in live concert performances throughout the rest of her life. The versions from Summer Stock finished at #61 in AFI's 100 Years...100 Songs survey of top tunes in American cinema. Garland sang this song with Barbra Streisand in a mash-up that also included "Happy Days Are Here Again" on The Judy Garland Show in 1963.
In the 1970 film The Boys in the Band, now considered a landmark of queer cinema, the character Michael sings a line from the song before remarking, "What's more boring than a queen doing a Judy Garland imitation?"
In the second season premiere of Twin Peaks, Leland Palmer sings the song at a family dinner.
An instrumental, hot jazz arrangement of the song, performed by Abe Lyman's Brunswick Recording Orchestra, served as the original theme music for Warner Bros.' Merrie Melodies cartoons from 1931 to 1933.
The song lyrics incorporate the title phrase in the longer phrase "Come on, get happy", but it should not be confused with the Partridge Family theme song "C'mon Get Happy".
- Nat Shilkret (1933)
- Benny Goodman (1936)
- Art Tatum (1939)
- Red Norvo and his Selected Sextet (including Charlie Parker) (1945)
- Harry James with vocals by Doris Day – Young Man with a Horn (Columbia, 1950)
- Bud Powell – Jazz Giant (1950)
- Frankie Laine (1951)
- Frank Sinatra – Swing Easy! (1954)
- Bing Crosby recorded the song in 1955 for use on his radio show and it was subsequently included in the box set The Bing Crosby CBS Radio Recordings (1954-56) issued by Mosaic Records (catalog MD7-245) in 2009.
- Eddie Costa – Eddie Costa Vinnie Burke Trio (1956)
- Ella Fitzgerald – Ella Fitzgerald Sings the Harold Arlen Songbook (1961)
- Judy Garland with Barbra Streisand (medley with "Happy Days Are Here Again") – The Judy Garland Show (1963), later released on Streisand's Duets (2002)
- Tony Bennett – Yesterday I Heard the Rain (1968)
- Dick Hyman – Blues In The Night: Dick Hyman Plays Harold Arlen (1990)
- June Christy – Day Dreams (1995), A Friendly Session, Vol. 3 (1998), Cool Christy (2002)
- Jane Horrocks – Little Voice (1998)
- Brad Mehldau – Anything Goes (2004)
- Rufus Wainwright – Rufus Does Judy at Carnegie Hall (2007)
- Johnny Dankworth – The Best Of Johnny Dankworth (2008)
- Lea Michele and Chris Colfer (medley with "Happy Days Are Here Again") – Glee (2010)
- Hugh Laurie and Lisa Edelstein – House "Bombshells" (2011)
- Billy Porter and Cyndi Lauper (medley with "Happy Days Are Here Again") - Billy’s Back on Broadway (2014)
- Rebecca Ferguson – Lady Sings the Blues (2015)
- Smoking Popes — Into the Agony (2018)
- Arlen, Samuel. "Harold Arlen – Biography – A Dream to Perform". Harold Arlen. Retrieved 8 March 2011.
- Lowe, Lindsay (4 October 2013). "Flashback Friday: Barbra Streisand's Iconic Duet with Judy Garland". Parade. Retrieved 4 August 2017.
- Hugh Laurie as Gregory House and Lisa Edelstein as Lisa Cuddy (March 7, 2011). "Bombshells". House. Season 7. Episode 15. FOX.
- "A Bing Crosby Discography". BING magazine. International Club Crosby. Retrieved December 3, 2017.
- "allmusic.com". allmusic.com. Retrieved December 3, 2017.