Get Happy (song)
|Song by Ruth Etting|
In pop culture
Influenced by the Get Happy tradition, it is most associated with Judy Garland, who performed it in her last MGM film Summer Stock (1950) and in live concert performances throughout the rest of her life. The versions from Summer Stock finished at #61 in AFI's 100 Years...100 Songs survey of top tunes in American cinema. Garland sang this song with Barbra Streisand in a mash-up that also included "Happy Days Are Here Again" on The Judy Garland Show in 1963. In the 2010 Glee episode "Duets", Lea Michele and Chris Colfer (as their characters Rachel Berry and Kurt Hummel) performed the song as part of the same mash-up that Streisand and Garland sang.
An instrumental, hot jazz arrangement of the song, performed by Abe Lyman's Brunswick Recording Orchestra, served as the original theme music for Warner Bros.' Merrie Melodies cartoons from 1931 to 1933.
The song lyrics incorporate the title phrase in the longer phrase "Come on, get happy", but it should not be confused with the Partridge Family theme song "C'mon Get Happy".
- Nat Shilkret (1933)
- Red Norvo and his Selected Sextet (including Charlie Parker) (1945)
- Harry James with vocals by Doris Day - Young Man with a Horn (Columbia CL-6016, 1950)
- Bud Powell - Jazz Giant (1950)
- Frankie Laine (1951)
- Frank Sinatra - Swing Easy! (1954)
- Eddie Costa - Eddie Costa Vinnie Burke Trio (1956)
- Ella Fitzgerald - Ella Fitzgerald Sings the Harold Arlen Songbook (1961)
- Judy Garland with Barbra Streisand (medley with "Happy Days Are Here Again") - The Judy Garland Show (1963), later released on Streisand's Duets (2002)
- Tony Bennett - Yesterday I Heard the Rain (1968)
- Dick Hyman - Blues In The Night: Dick Hyman Plays Harold Arlen (1990)
- June Christy - Day Dreams (1995), A Friendly Session, Vol. 3 (1998), Cool Christy (2002)
- Jane Horrocks - Little Voice (1998)
- Brad Mehldau - Anything Goes (2004)
- Rufus Wainwright - Rufus Does Judy at Carnegie Hall (2007)
- Johnny Dankworth - The Best Of Johnny Dankworth (2008)
- Lea Michele and Chris Colfer (medley with "Happy Days Are Here Again") - Glee (2010)
- Hugh Laurie and Lisa Edelstein - House "Bombshells" (2011)
- Rebecca Ferguson - Lady Sings the Blues (2015)
- S.A. Music The Official Harold Arlen Website, 2001-2002, accessed March 8, 2011.
- Lindsay Lowe. "Flashback Friday: Barbra Streisand's Iconic Duet with Judy Garland". Parade.
- Video on YouTube
- Hugh Laurie as Gregory House and Lisa Edelstein as Lisa Cuddy (March 7, 2011). "Bombshells". House. Season 7. Episode 15. FOX.