Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Christopher Smith|
|Produced by||Liza Marshall
|Written by||Christopher Smith|
|Music by||Ilan Eshkeri|
|Edited by||Stuart Gazzard|
|Distributed by||Warner Bros.|
Get Santa is a 2014 British Christmas comedy film directed and written by Christopher Smith. The film stars Jim Broadbent, Rafe Spall, Warwick Davis and Kit Connor. It was Tony Scott's last film as producer.
A 9-year-old boy Tom (Kit Connor) finds Santa Claus (Jim Broadbent) in his garden shed after Santa crashes his sleigh. Desperate to return to Lapland in time for Christmas, Santa asks Tom and his dad Steve (Rafe Spall) for help. It's just a few days before Christmas, and his reindeer are found running loose through the streets of London.
- Jim Broadbent as Santa Claus
- Rafe Spall as Steve
- Kit Connor as Tom
- Stephen Graham as Barber
- Ewen Bremner as PC Finkerton
- Jodie Whittaker as Alison
- Michael Walter as Entwhistle
- Warwick Davis as Sally
- Joanna Scanlan as Ruth
- Nonso Anozie as Knuckles
- Perry Benson as Jimbo
- Matt King as Brian
- Joshua McGuire as Tony
- Hera Hilmar as WPC Boyle
- Craig Fackrell as The Haircut
- Bjarne Henriksen as Lars
On 12 May 2011, THR announced that Ridley Scott's Scott Free Productions is producing an "untitled Christmas family film", Christopher Smith is set to write and then direct the film. On 8 May 2013, Jim Broadbent joined the cast to play the lead role of Santa Claus in the film, produced by Liza Marshall. In November 2013, BFI Film Fund supported the film's production with £1 million, set to begin filming in early 2014.
On 16 January 2014, while filming was underway, more cast was added to the film, including Rafe Spall, Stephen Graham, Ewen Bremner, Jodie Whittaker, Warwick Davis, Joanna Scanlan, and Nonso Anozie. Warner Bros. released the film in United Kingdom, while Altitude Film Sales handled the international sales. A nine-year-old son's character will be played by a new young actor Kit Connor. The other cast includes Perry Benson, Matt King, Joshua McGuire and Hera Hilmar.
On 27 January 2014, an image was released of the film. It was released in the United Kingdom on 5 December 2014.
Get Santa received positive reviews. It is currently 76% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes, based on 21 reviews, with an average score of 6.4/10. Metacritic gives the film a score of 52 out of 100 based on six critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews".
- "Scott Free U.K. Unveils Ambitious Slate". The Hollywood Reporter. 12 May 2011. Retrieved 31 January 2014.
- Rosser, Michael (16 January 2014). "Get Santa begins shoot". screendaily.com. Retrieved 31 January 2014.
- Barraclough, Leo (8 May 2013). "Jim Broadbent to Star in Scott Free's 'Get Santa'". Variety. Retrieved 31 January 2014.
- Tartaglione, Nancy (16 January 2014). "'Get Santa' Finalizes Cast As Production Begins". deadline.com. Retrieved 31 January 2014.
- "Shooting Commences in Leeds on 'Get Santa'". screenyorkshire.co.uk. 16 January 2014. Archived from the original on 31 January 2014. Retrieved 31 January 2014.
- Wiseman, Andreas (21 November 2013). "Get Santa, Bill get £1m from BFI". screendaily.com. Retrieved 31 January 2014.
- "Ilan Eshkeri to Score James McTeigue's 'Survivor'". filmmusicreporter.com. 6 August 2014. Retrieved 14 December 2014.
- "'Get Santa' Soundtrack Released". filmmusicreporter.com. 3 December 2014. Retrieved 14 December 2014.
- Barraclough, Leo (27 January 2014). "First Image Released of Jim Broadbent in 'Get Santa'". Variety. Retrieved 31 January 2014.
- "Get Santa (2014)". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 26 August 2015.
- "Get Santa". Metacritic. Retrieved 26 August 2015.