|Produced by||Udhayanidhi Stalin|
|Starring||Udhayanidhi Stalin |
|Music by||Harris Jayaraj|
|Edited by||Dinesh Ponraj|
|Distributed by||Red Giant Movies|
Gethu (English: Grit) is a 2016 Indian Tamil-language action thriller film written and directed by Thirukumaran. Produced by Udhayanidhi Stalin, the film features himself in the lead role along with Amy Jackson, Sathyaraj in a supporting role, and Vikranth as the main antagonist. Featuring music composed by Harris Jayaraj and cinematography by Sukumar, the film was released on 14 January 2016. It received mixed reviews. Critics praised the cinematography and music of the film but heavily criticized the screenplay and the misleading title of the film.
- Udhayanidhi Stalin as Sethu Raman
- Sathyaraj as Thulasi Raman
- Amy Jackson as Nandhini Ramanujan
- Vikranth as Craig aka Bull
- Karunakaran as Kanagu
- Pragathi as Thulasi Raman's wife
- Rajesh as Matthews
- Sachu as Vathsala Sadagoppan
- Mime Gopi as Kandhan
- I. M. Vijayan as Rajendran
- Avinash as Craig's boss
- Anuradha as Kandhan's mother
- Vasu Vikram as Headmaster
- Uma Padmanabhan as Uma Padmanabhan
- Besant Ravi
- Aadukalam Naren as DSP (guest appearance)
- Sharad Haksar as Abdul Kamal (guest appearance)
- Mahek Chahal in an item number
In July 2014, Udhayanidhi Stalin revealed that he would collaborate with director Thirukumaran of Maan Karate (2014) fame for his next production. Gethu was revealed to be the title in September 2014, with Harris Jayaraj and Sukumar signed on as music composer and cinematographer respectively. Actor Vikranth, previously only seen in leading roles, signed on to appear in the film as an antagonist. Sathyaraj was chosen to play the father of Udhayanidhi's character and was given top billing in the credits. The film was revealed to be half complete by April 2015, and a first look poster was released to the public. The team began a second schedule in Kodaikanal later that month. Gethu also marks the first major appearance of Udhayanidhi in a non-comedy film. He stated that he chose to work on the film due to having grown bored of working in comedy films, and his desire to "experiment, try something different".
The satellite rights of the film were sold to Sun TV.The film was released on 14 January 2016, coinciding with Pongal, and received mixed critical response. M Suganth of The Times of India rated it 2.5 out of 5, commenting, "Thirukumaran has the essentials for a high-concept thriller — a determined hitman, an ordinary man who stumbles into a nefarious plot by accident, a sub-plot that provides some mystery, and a bit of family drama. It is in his execution that he falters. For a thriller clocking in at under two hours, Gethu moves at a pace that is as sleepy as the hill station where the action happens. The director's choice of slow motion shots as a device to make the action stylish and prolong the tension in the plot works against the film." Sudhir Srinivasan of The Hindu stated, "The whole movie bears the flavour of a short-story adaptation, and at a little over two hours, there isn’t too much duration in which to flood the story with masala elements and thoroughly destroy it, although, to its discredit, Gethu certainly does try."
The entertainment tax exemption request for the film was denied on the basis that the filmmakers misspelled the English title as "Gethu" instead of "Kethu", the latter being the correct transliteration of a Tamil word. Government officials argued that since films released using Tamil words are entitled to an entertainment tax, and that "Gethu" is not a Tamil word, the film would not be entitled to an exemption. The matter was heard by the Madras State Court, which ruled that the film was entitled to the entertainment tax exemption.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||25 December 2015|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Harris Jayaraj chronology|
The film's soundtrack album and background score was composed by Harris Jayaraj. The soundtrack album consists of five tracks and Harris is collaborating with Udhayanidhi Stalin for the fifth time in this project. The music rights were purchased by Divo. The soundtrack's track list was released by Red Giant Movies on 23 December 2015. The track list was unveiled on YouTube using an innovative motion poster technique. The album was released on 25 December 2015, coinciding with Christmas celebrations.
|1.||"Thillu Mullu"||V Padmavathy, Sirkali Sirpi, Gana Vinoth||Naresh Iyer, Ranina Reddy||6:02|
|2.||"Thaen Kaatru"||Thamarai||Haricharan, Shashaa Tirupati||5:06|
|3.||"Yevanda Ivan"||MC Vickey||MC Vickey, Sharmila||4:36|
|4.||"Adiyae Adiyae"||Thamarai||Karthik, Pop Shalini||3:23|
|5.||"Mutta Bajji"||Gana Vinoth, G Praba||Gana Vinoth, Anthony Daasan, Marana Gana Viji, Ebisa||3:12|
- "First Day Box office collection: Rajini Murugan gets good opening, Tharai Thappattai, Kathakali, Gethu take decent start". International Business Times, India Edition. Retrieved 19 January 2016.
Gethu and Tharai Thappattai have got [sic] mixed reviews.
- "What is Udhay`s `Gethu` is all about?". Sify. 26 May 2015. Retrieved 27 November 2015.
- "Thirukumaran's next — Chennai". The Hindu. 2 July 2014. Retrieved 27 November 2015.
- "Udhayanidhi`s next film titled `Gethu`". Sify. 8 September 2014. Retrieved 27 November 2015.
- "Vikranth plays baddie in Udhay`s `Gethu`!". Sify. 21 May 2015. Retrieved 27 November 2015.
- "Vikranth is the main villain in the Udhayanidhi Stalin — Amy Jackson starrer Gethu". Behindwoods. 21 May 2015. Retrieved 27 November 2015.
- "Its Gethu for Udhayanidhi Stalin". Behindwoods. 8 September 2014. Retrieved 27 November 2015.
- "Gethu Movie Review, Trailer, & Show timings at Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 19 January 2016.
- "Udhayanidhi`s `Gethu` first look out". Sify. 2 April 2015. Retrieved 27 November 2015.
- "Tamil film Gethu begins its 2nd schedule in Kodaikanal today, 22nd April". Behindwoods. 22 April 2015. Retrieved 27 November 2015.
- "'Gethu' trailer released on Udhayanidhi Stalin's birthday [VIDEO]". International Business Times, India Edition. Retrieved 12 January 2016.
- "'Manithan' more emotional, funnier than original: Udhayanidhi Stalin". The Indian Express. IANS. 26 April 2016. Retrieved 5 August 2016.
- Reporter, Staff. "HC directs government to extend tax exemption for Gethu". Retrieved 16 December 2016.
- "Gethu: A beautifully shot thriller that isn't particularly thrilling". The Hindu. 14 January 2016. ISSN 0971-751X. Retrieved 19 January 2016.
- Sureshkumar, Udhav Naig,. "It should have been 'Kethu', not 'Gethu': Govt. tells High Court". Retrieved 16 December 2016.
- Gethu follows VIP innovation. Top10 Cinema (23 December 2015). Retrieved on 2016-02-20.
- Gethu – Official Track list | Udhayanidhi Stalin, Amy Jackson | Harris Jayaraj | K Thirukumaran. YouTube (22 December 2015). Retrieved on 2016-02-20.
- Kiran, Sai. (23 December 2015) Gethu Songs Tracklist and Audio Release date – Udhayanidhi Stalin, Amy Jackson. Belvoireagle.com. Retrieved on 2016-02-20.