|Single by Brian Wilson and Mike Love|
|B-side||"Devoted to You"|
|Released||August 28, 1967|
|Recorded||July 14, 1967|
|Songwriter(s)||Brian Wilson/Mike Love|
|Producer(s)||The Beach Boys|
|Brian Wilson singles chronology|
|Mike Love singles chronology|
"Gettin' Hungry" is a song written and performed by Brian Wilson and Mike Love, released as a single in August 1967, the second and last released on the original Brother Records label. It was later placed on the Beach Boys' album Smiley Smile one month later. It is one of the few songs on Smiley Smile not explicitly taken from the aborted Smile project, along with "Little Pad".
Author Byron Preiss characterized it as "an odd combination of energetic chorus, electric bass, and bluesy meandering". According to Wilson, he "just thought it would be a good single". Billboard reviewed it as an "unusual piece of material — as off-beat as their current 'Heroes and Villains' smash. Should prove to be an important chart item." Biographer Mark Dillon noted the song as a "flop single".
- 1979 – Celebration, Celebration
- 1974 – The Faces
- 2012 – Keith Haman - from the album Total Electric
- 2013 – Seth Mankowski, Portland Sings The Beach Boys "Smiley Smile"
- Dillon, Mark (June 1, 2012). Fifty Sides of the Beach Boys: The Songs That Tell Their Story. ECW Press. pp. 305–. ISBN 978-1-77090-198-8.
- Leaf, David (1990). Smiley Smile/Wild Honey (CD Liner). The Beach Boys. Capitol Records.
- Lambert, Philip (2007). Inside the Music of Brian Wilson: the Songs, Sounds, and Influences of the Beach Boys' Founding Genius. Continuum. p. 197. ISBN 978-0-8264-1876-0.
- Preiss, Byron (1979). The Beach Boys. Ballantine Books. p. 86. ISBN 978-0-345-27398-7.
- Reviews. Billboard. Nielsen Business Media, Inc. September 2, 1967. p. 18. ISSN 0006-2510.
|This 1960s rock song-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This 1960s single-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|