Geylang Methodist Secondary School
|Geylang Methodist School (Secondary)
Sekolah Menengah Methodist Geylang
|2 Geylang East Central
|Motto||To grow in friendship, body and mind|
|Principal||Mr. Wee Tat Chuen|
Geylang Methodist School (Secondary) (Abbreviation: GMS(S)) is a co-ed school located in Aljunied, Singapore. Founded in 1924, the school offers secondary education leading to the Singapore-Cambridge GCE Ordinary Level or Singapore-Cambridge GCE Normal Level examination.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (September 2017)
Geylang Methodist Secondary School was founded in 1924 as Geylang Methodist Girls' School. In 1984, the school went co-education with the intake of boys, and the high school and primary school sections separated into two institutions under separate administration.
Being a government secondary school, Geylang Methodist Secondary School offers three academic streams, namely the four-year Express course, as well as the Normal Course, comprising Normal (Academic) and Normal (Technical) academic tracks.
GCE O Level Express Course
The examinable academic subjects for Singapore-Cambridge GCE Ordinary Level offered by Geylang Methodist Secondary School for upper secondary level (via. streaming in secondary 2 level), as of 2017, are listed below.
- Subjects indicated with ' * ' are mandatory subjects.
- All students in Singapore are required to undertake a Mother Tongue Language as an examinable subject, as indicated by ' ^ '.
- "SPA" in Pure Science subjects refers to the incorporation of School-based Science Practical Assessment, which 20% of the subject result in the national examination are determined by school-based practical examinations, supervised by the Singapore Examinations and Assessment Board. The SPA Assessment has been replaced by one Practical Assessment in the 2018 O Levels.
|Sciences||Language & Hunanities||Arts & Aesthetics|
The Normal Course is a nationwide 4-year programme leading to the Singapore-Cambridge GCE Normal Level examination, which runs either the Normal (Academic) curriculum or Normal (Technical) curriculum, abbreviated as N(A) and N(T) respectively.
Normal (Academic) Course
- English Language
- Mother Tongue Language
- Combined Humanities
A 5th year leading to the Singapore-Cambridge GCE Ordinary Level examination is available to N(A) students who perform well in their Singapore-Cambridge GCE Normal Level examination. Students can move from one course to another based on their performance and the assessment of the school principal and teachers.
Normal (Technical) Course
The Normal (Technical) course prepares students for a technical-vocational education at the Institute of Technical Education. Students will offer 5-7 subjects in the Singapore-Cambridge GCE Normal Level examination. The curriculum is tailored towards strengthening students’ proficiency in English and Mathematics. Students take English Language, Mathematics, Basic Mother Tongue and Computer Applications as compulsory subjects.
- Colin Ng: First Normal Academic Stream awardee, Lee Kuan Yew Award for All-Round Excellence.
- "Express Course Curriculum". www.moe.gov.sg. Retrieved 2017-09-14.
- "School Information Service". Ministry of Education, Singapore. Ministry of Education, Singapore. Retrieved 11 June 2016.
- "GCE O-Level Syllabuses Examined in 2018". Singapore Examinations and Assessment Board (SEAB). Retrieved 2017-04-16.
- "Secondary School Courses". www.moe.gov.sg. Retrieved 2017-09-14.
- "Normal Course Curriculum". www.moe.gov.sg. Retrieved 2017-09-14.
- "LKY award for Normal stream boy". www.asiaone.com. Retrieved 2017-09-25.