|Directed by||Santhosh P. Jayakumar|
|Produced by||K. E. Gnanavel Raja|
|Screenplay by||Santhosh P.Jayakumar|
|Based on||Bhale Bhale Magadivoy|
by Maruthi Dasari
|Music by||Balamurali Balu|
Ghajinikanth is a 2018 Indian Tamil-language romantic action comedy film written and directed by Santhosh P. Jayakumar and produced by K.E.Gnanavel Raja. The movie stars Arya and Sayyeshaa in the lead roles. It is a remake of Maruthi Dasari's 2015 Telugu film Bhale Bhale Magadivoy. Music for the film is composed by Balamurali Balu.
The protagonist, Rajinikanth (Arya), was born in a theatre screening Dharmathin Thalaivan, and like one of Rajinikanth’s characters in that film, has a forgetful nature. The film doffs its hat at the older film by introducing its protagonist in underwear as he has forgotten to wear pants. This condition of Rajini is a constant source of embarrassment to his parents Ramanathan (Aadukalam Naren) and Lakshmi (Uma Padmanabhan), as they cannot find a suitable match for him. One prospective girl's father Sathyamoorthy (Sampath Raj) insults Rajini because of this. As fate would have it, Rajini ends up falling in love with Sathyamoorthy's daughter Vandhana (Sayyeshaa), but she is unaware of Rajini's forgetfulness. How long can Rajini continue with this facade, especially with Ajay (Lijeesh), a cop who wants to marry Vandhana and is trying to expose him?
- Arya as Rajinikanth aka Ghajinikanth, the forgetful protagonist who falls in love with Vandhana
- Sayyeshaa as Vandhana, Rajini’s girlfriend who is unaware of his forgetfulness
- Aadukalam Naren as Ramanathan, Rajini's father, who is not fond of Rajini’s antics
- Uma Padmanabhan as Lakshmi Ramanathan, Rajini's mother, who is also not fond of Rajini’s antics
- Sampath Raj as Sathyamoorthy, Vandhana's father
- "Kabali" Lingesh as Inspector Ajay, a cop who wants to marry Vandhana and expose Rajini
- Rajendran as Rajini's friend
- Sathish as Mohan
- Karunakaran as Karuna
- Kaali Venkat as Uthaman
- Delhi Ganesh as Rajini's grandfather
- Sulakshana as Rajini's grandmother
- Madhan Bob as Rajini's boss
- Manobala as Kamal Vishwanathan
- K. Sivasankar as Mohan's father
- Neelima Rani as Gayathri, Vandhana's sister-in-law
- K. S. G. Venkatesh as Gayathri's father
- Dubbing Janaki as Kamal's mother
- Jangiri Madhumitha as Mrs. Uthaman
- Sheela as Gayathri's mother
- Rekha Suresh as Mrs. Kamal Vishwanathan
- Hema Rajkumar
- Baba Bhaskar in a special appearance
In October 2015, a Tamil remake of the Telugu film Bhale Bhale Magadivoy (2015) with G. V. Prakash Kumar as the protagonist was announced, but never came to fruition. In late November 2017, Studio Green announced that they would collaborate with filmmaker Santhosh P. Jayakumar for a comedy film starring Arya and Sayyeshaa in the lead roles. Titled Ghajinikanth, the film was revealed to be a remake of Bhale Bhale Magadivoy, and the first look poster had Arya in an ethnic attire resembling a character portrayed by Rajinikanth in the 1988 film, Dharmathin Thalaivan. The title is a portmanteau of the words "Ghajini" and "Rajinikanth", and was titled so because of the forgetful nature of Rajinikanth's character in Dharmathin Thalaivan and Suriya's character in Ghajini (2005). The shoot began with a song sequence shot in Thailand, before the team completed scenes in Chennai. Santhosh was directing this alongside another film Iruttu Araiyil Murattu Kuththu (2018). Shooting ended in 39 days.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Balamurali Balu chronology|
|1.||"Hola Hola"||Benny Dayal, M. M. Manasi, Christopher Stanley||3:26|
|2.||"Bar Song"||Rahul Nambiar||3:00|
|4.||"Karu Karu"||Sanjith Hegde, Aishwarya Ravichandran||1:21|
Production budget of the film was valued at ₹8 crore excluding Arya's salary.
Indian Express wrote "There are several ways to keep the viewer engaged - it could be through the story, it’s characters, the writing or the filmmaking. Sadly, Ghajinikanth doesn’t tick any of the boxes." Times of India wrote "Despite the film offering great scope for comedy, Ghajinikanth is entertaining only in places." Sify called it "Family-friendly comedy entertainer" and wrote "Overall, Ghajinikanth is a time pass entertainer and you will enjoy watching it with family and friends!"
- Balachandran, Logesh (26 October 2015). "GV Prakash to do Nani's role in Tamil remake of Bhale Bhale Magadivoy". The Times of India. Archived from the original on 28 February 2016.
- "Studio Green's next film has Arya and Sayyeshaa in the lead".
- "Arya teams up with Hara Hara Mahadevaki director Santhosh Jayakumar". 29 November 2017.
- "Sayyeshaa's next film opposite Arya begins rolling in Thailand".
- "Arya starrer Ghajinikanth's first look revealed".
- "Ghajinikanth teaser: Arya plays a Rajinikanth fan with a memory disorder". 11 January 2018.
- "We managed to get a clean A-certificate: 'Hara Hara Mahadevaki' director Santhosh P Jayakumar". The New Indian Express. 9 April 2018. Retrieved 2018-04-12.
- "Sayyeshaa-Arya will make a terrific pair in Ghajinikanth and here's the proof".
- "'Ghajinikanth' shoot complete in record 39 days?". Sify. Retrieved 2018-04-12.
- "Ghajinikanth Official Trailer". PakkaTv. 4 May 2018.
- "Ghajinikanth Hola Hola Lyrical Video". PakkaTv. 8 June 2018.
- "Ghajinikanth budget".